Get my WR450 to turn

Any suggestions on how to get my 08 Wr450 to turn? I have bought springs for the front and rear. I have the forks raised in the clamp 3 rings if there was a third ring. It is much better but not where I would like it to be. I don't think I should have to raise the forks in the clamps this far. The front of the bike is just washing out in the corners. I am running the Kenda Millville front tire. When this tire in worn out I will be going back to a Michelin S12. I am hopeing this will help also. ? Any other suggestions.

There aren't many bikes that turn better than the WR450 once set up correctly. Spring rate, sag, and fork damping need to be addressed if you are pushing. Stock forks are very soft.

You can set it up to turn alot better but it will never be a star turner.

I love my WR but it sucks when it comes to turning... yes suspension is part of it but the big issue is the wheel base... you just have to keep shortening it up... offset clamps are probably the best way or an off set axle (eccentric?) does anyone have any experience with either?

I would like to improve it as well but I am not racing regularly anymore so I would have to consider the value of such a mod... I can't imagine off set clamps being cheap. Maybe just a set of YZF OEM clamps will help....

I love my WR but it sucks when it comes to turning... yes suspension is part of it but the big issue is the wheel base... you just have to keep shortening it up... offset clamps are probably the best way or an off set axle (eccentric?) does anyone have any experience with either?

I would like to improve it as well but I am not racing regularly anymore so I would have to consider the value of such a mod... I can't imagine off set clamps being cheap. Maybe just a set of YZF OEM clamps will help....

The YZF clamps are offset 25mm just like the stock WRF so it wouldn't change the steering. I have a set though from a 08 yz450f that came with the TC forks I put on my wr, the YZF clamps are lighter.

Any suggestions on how to get my 08 Wr450 to turn? I have bought springs for the front and rear. I have the forks raised in the clamp 3 rings if there was a third ring. It is much better but not where I would like it to be. I don't think I should have to raise the forks in the clamps this far. The front of the bike is just washing out in the corners. I am running the Kenda Millville front tire. When this tire in worn out I will be going back to a Michelin S12. I am hopeing this will help also. ? Any other suggestions.

I had the same problem with my 05. I lost the front end many times, one particular time cost me 8 weeks in a cast with a broken foot!

I got it dialed in now and my front end sticks even on silty fireroads. It will take some figuring out.

I don't always get up on the tank like I should, so I had to adjust a bit for my riding style (or lack thereof)

here's what I did... It may not be the perfect approach, but it solved my problem.

1) drop those forks in the clamps. Drop them as far as they'll go.

2) less rear sag. No more than 100mm

3) speed up your fork compression by going out three clicks.

4) slow down your fork rebound by going in three clicks

I was really searching for the other end of the spectrum where it turned too sharply and the front end would dig in too much. I was able to tell the difference.

then, I started backing off of these settings until I found the right balance that suited my particular riding style. It helps a lot when I put my nuts against the tank while turning.

This made it better for me but I still had a bit of a chopper feeling when turning (front end high). I then went to a stiffer rear spring (6.0 spring and I weight 200 w/o gear) This got rid of the chopper feeling and I now turn more confidently.

You can try the same approach. But you will have to ride and test, ride and test till you get it to your liking.

Good Luck.

My front end now sticks very well.

Its the tyre. I put the same one on and immediatly had problems with wash outs, front wheel climbing out of ruts etc. Its the triangle shape of the outside knobs on the tyre.

I changed it an havent had the same problems since.

I think the tyre is designed for very soft loaming conditions. Any thing harder than that and your going to get wash outs.

Thanks all of your for your responses. Riding and testing and makeing changes is what I have been doing for about 2 weeks now. I think I am going in the right direction. It was good to here I am not the only one haveing these issues. I just bought this wr and I came off of a 300xc. So you understand my pursuit. Trying to get the wr to turn like the ktm. Other that the turning I love this bike. The suspension is so much better in the ride than the ktm. I will keep pecking at it and hopefully I will get it there.

I have had a long break from Yamaha,? this is the sweetest handling bike I have ridden in a long time. However, after I set the rear sag I noticed that the bike had a nose down feeling. I am 231 in riding gear and have just put the bike on the heaviest factory springs, dropped the oil down to 140mm (from 115mm) down from the top and have reduced the compression setting and increased the rebound. Also fitted a ROC Stompa Steering dampener and lifted the forks in the clamps to the first ring. Will go for a blast this weekend and see how it goes. Bottom line really is if you want a good turning bike for the bush get a 250, 450 are more than most mortales can handle, I need it to haul my big fat arse around. lol

. I just bought this wr and I came off of a 300xc. So you understand my pursuit. Trying to get the wr to turn like the ktm..

Funny, I was going to ask if you have come off a KTM or a 2-st, but actually both!

The Yam is a barge compared to a KTM, so you can only improve so far, as per the suggestions – raise the forks, adjust for more rebound and less compression, plus keep the rear sag small.

I too had a KTM – a 525 and the WR has way better suspension, much better stability, but feels and turns like a much heavier bike.

I can get the front of my WR to grip very well by sliding forward up the seat (as you should anyway in corners), but you can’t lose that heavy feeling

Steve

Well the turning issue is really affecting my speed in the woods. Not to mention my 16 yr old is kicking my a@@. I would like to be able to give him a run for small sections at least. I am going to ride this weekend and try some more changes. At least per everyone opinions I am going in the same direction as some others. Also I am not the only one haveing these issues.

In the woods my 15yr old will kick my butt too on his wr250, when we switch up I kick his butt. As far as turning goes I try to get as much weight as possible on the outside footpeg, weight forward my knee locked to the shroud, the 450 just has to be manhandled more in tight woods!!

I am not saying that I don't know how to turn the bike. The front end will not hold on agressive corners. It will wash and leave me laying on the ground or trying to recover from getting out of wack before the next tree comes. We ride tight woods so there isn't a lot of room for mistakes. I usually average 18 to 20 mph average in the woods. At least that is what my computer says. With this WR I am down around 17 to 18. So I know I am a little slower on the wr than I was on the ktm. I am hopefull that once I get the wr dialed in I should be back were I was. Or maybe I am just another year older and getting slower. Doesn't matter I will ride untill I can't.

I installed a rekluse e axle on my 04 WR

couldnt use the speedo but really changed the way the bike felt to me

For the better

If I could have removed 40 pounds (from the bike) it really would have helped

I was wondering how the e axle would work. Seems like one of the cheaper options.