HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanadianWR450

Piston preference?

7 posts in this topic

Anyone have any views as to piston preference?

Any ones better then others in performance/price?

Wisco vs OEM as a example. Any to avoid?

While I'm here, although I have searched the crap out of this, there does not seem to be any draw back to having your cylinder re coated / bored by a reputable shop, vs buying a new one from Yamaha , correct?

Wiesco and pro-x have always been good in my book good quality.

You could go for a slightly higher compression so that you'll still be able to use pumpgas but get some performance gains.

If you stick with you current cylinder id go with a pro-x with a very slightly larger bore. In most situations id go for a bore/replate, this is much chepaer than buying a fresh cylinder from yamaha.

Wiesco and pro-x have always been good in my book good quality.

You could go for a slightly higher compression so that you'll still be able to use pumpgas but get some performance gains.

If you stick with you current cylinder id go with a pro-x with a very slightly larger bore. In most situations id go for a bore/replate, this is much chepaer than buying a fresh cylinder from yamaha.

NORMALLY I'm all over getting all the performance, but honestly, not needed here. I'm 40, and this is my first off road bike really, picked it up last year.

It's a 04 Canadian model, Air box cut outs, etc, with JD Jetting , Hotcams, and a FMF PowerCore Ti, and honestly, I do not think I'll EVER need more power then the thing has now. It hits hard, and fast, and just keeps pulling.....:thumbsup:

I'll probably go OEM Piston, and have the cylinder plated.

I'll have the cylinder plated.

If your just doing a rebuild, all you need to have done is a quick hone...no need to replate :thumbsup: