HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chop Shop

09 YZ450 rear shock

9 posts in this topic

Guys,

I have set the sag , clickers are all set, and I am pretty happy with the bike as it sits. I do have a question though. When you sit on the bike and bounce lightly up and down there seems to be very little damping involved in the inch or so that you are moving up and down.

Coming off years of valved Showa suspension, that little free movement was never felt. Is this normal for the SSS system... Its not a complaint yet, more of an observation.

It's typical of the YZF damping setup, yes. When we re-did mine, one of the only changes we made to the shock was to beef up the rebound stack's initial response. I was shocked (pun not intended) to see how well it worked.

Guys,

I have set the sag , clickers are all set, and I am pretty happy with the bike as it sits. I do have a question though. When you sit on the bike and bounce lightly up and down there seems to be very little damping involved in the inch or so that you are moving up and down.

Coming off years of valved Showa suspension, that little free movement was never felt. Is this normal for the SSS system... Its not a complaint yet, more of an observation.

just to add to your findings,i noticed when trying to slow the rebound down it took quite a few turns in to get it to start working,i think i ended up at 6 out and i may need to go in some more.im sure a revalve will take care of it but i am going to get everything broke in first.

just to add to your findings,i noticed when trying to slow the rebound down it took quite a few turns in to get it to start working,i think i ended up at 6 out and i may need to go in some more.im sure a revalve will take care of it but i am going to get everything broke in first.

The YZF shocks have very little rebound damping in stock form so your setting of 6 out is not surprising. Weird but true.

Im at 8 out and like how it is starting to works. I am still getting used to the different feel from my Hondas. On one of the local tracks there was a down hill kicker that I would hit pretty hard with a little blip of the throttle on my CRF.. I find the YZ wants to kick up under the same scenario.

I find the YZ wants to kick up under the same scenario.

You can't truly resolve this issue without reconfiguring the rebound stack, like I said.

Did my own with parts and instructions from SMART Performance. The only really special equipment you'd need is a Nitrogen bottle, regulator, and no-loss chuck, but you can assemble the shock using low pressure air, then have it filled at a shop.

Requires good basic skills, but it's otherwise a lot easier than you'd think.