dual mufflers on 400

Why do you want to do that? It'll probably just add weight, if you can even buy a dual for your bike, which I doubt. As mentioned above, it was probably a CRF250, they come standard with duals aswell. Honda did it to try to get noise levels down. Worth noting, is that the 2010 CRF250 has a single. http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=30B2773F37CA47DDB314FAD84EE6F221

funny honda clamed it help with the handling of the bike aswell.

Actually, it could have improved the handling because it would get the weight closer to the centre of the bike. But if it added weight aswell, depending on how much, it could have been counter productive.

I seen on another persons bike, he had duals, they were FMF factory 4.1

how would i try to atempt this project.

I have a 98 yz400f with the 2005 450f conversion

well get your pipe, a pipe bender, and your welder and a whole bunch of $$$ for two mufflers.....good luck and please tell us what the objective is for this project?

the look, the noise or the fun of welding? :worthy:

I can't see why the time and effort put into the project would be proportional to the gain from doing such a thing. You'd need the other muffler, a way to connect from the header or midpipe on the right side of the bike to the other muffler, you'd have to fabricate mounts for the midpipe and muffler on the left side of the bike, and you'd need to make enough space between the left number plate and the frame to allow the muffler to mount and clear the number plate. And, most importantly, you'd need the time and ability to make all that come together.

I can't see why the time and effort put into the project would be proportional to the gain from doing such a thing.]

For the look, and I got plenty of welding experience, plus it will be the only YZ400F out there with duals( that we know of)

idk either I will go with the Factory 4.1 pipes

or get the stock 2009 YZ450f pipes

I like to make things different, go against the crowd.

I have already started this project, so I will post update pics when I can