Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
426FORLIFE

yz426 Gas tank

5 posts in this topic

I have a very very thin crack in my gas tank, where the frame and subframe meet right above that in the gas tank. it drips very very very slowly. Do you think that melting some plastic and filling in the hairline crack would work.

2000 Yz426F stock gas tank.

I have a very very thin crack in my gas tank, where the frame and subframe meet right above that in the gas tank. it drips very very very slowly. Do you think that melting some plastic and filling in the hairline crack would work.

2000 Yz426F stock gas tank.

It usually doesn't. Clarke sells replacement tanks in 3 or 4 colors.

yeah i was looking at those and i dont really want to spend 189 bucks... some one told me jbweld do you think the gas would eat away at it ?

Fuel won't so much eat the JB as it will destroy what little bond the epoxy forms with the plastic. It won't hold.

There is one possibility I can think of for you -

http://www.biosafe-inc.com/sealall.htm

I've seen this stuff used on plastic tanks with success.

A suggestion: find the ends of the crack and use a small drill bit to drill a hole completely through the tank at each end of the crack. This relieves the stresses in the material to prevent the crack from propagating.

You might even try grooving out the crack a bit like as if it were metal being prepped for welding. Then goop it up with this stuff!

I can't tell you with certainty that it will work but it's cheap compared to the cost of a new tank... it might be worth a try.

If you try it, please let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck!

:thumbsup: