how do you tell the build year

was told the 05 bikes have twin chamber forks or something like that.

i bought seals for a 05 bike but they were to big also the forks are normal folks.

thought then maybe the folks had been changed?

until i bought a OEM standard 05 muffler and that didn't fit!

i expect the bike may be a 04 model registered as a 05 ive heard this does happen a lot here in the UK but how do i find out for sure?

:worthy:

was told the 05 bikes have twin chamber forks or something like that.

i bought seals for a 05 bike but they were to big also the forks are normal folks.

thought then maybe the folks had been changed?

until i bought a OEM standard 05 muffler and that didn't fit!

i expect the bike may be a 04 model registered as a 05 ive heard this does happen a lot here in the UK but how do i find out for sure?

:worthy:

It sounds to me like you may in fact have an 04.

The 04's have 46mm forks as opposed to the 48mm forks on the 05's.

Both are good forks once you set them up.

The 05 forks are "supposed" to be twin chamber. I have only replace the seals and springs in mine and have not looked at the internals. But they really look like the open chamber type forks to me.

No worries though. They are still pretty good as far as I am concerned.

thanks for the quick replys the web site dosent seem to make any sense with my frame number as it starts with jy and the 10 diget is a "0"

minty, my '07 shows the same, I was told competition bikes not allways match the pattern, I went to main Yamaha dealer and based on my VIN they were able to track month/year when bike was made and confirm model year too

Minty0 10,

Ok, let's try this. I just ran my VIN using this website http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/yamaha.asp. It was on the money for accuracy. Just plug in your VIN and see what happens.

Sill no joy just keep getting "not find an exact match for this VIN in my database" :worthy:

Minty0 10,

I just looked at a bunch of Yamaha VIN numbers from the USA, South Africa and Europe, all of which begin with JY in the first two positions of the VIN. J= Japan (country of manufacture) and Y= Yamaha (manufacturer). The 10th alpha numeric character, NOT THE 10TH DIGIT (a digit is a number), always reflected the correct year of manufacture, (i.e., 4 for 2004, 5 for 2005, 6 for 2006, etc). Do you have 17 alpha numeric characters in the VIN? If not, then characters are missing from the VIN. Here is an sample of a valid VIN for a 2008 Yamaha WR450F, with the 10th alpha numeric character underlined and the last three characters altered because I'm cautious JYACJ13Y58A000632.

ok well thanks for the info going by the last post that makes my bike a 2004 model.

so one last question will a 2005 standard rear can fit my bike?

reason im asking i one bought what was supposed to have been a 05 can but it would not fit.

but ive seen in a few places that people say that 03 to 05 are interchangeable?

Minty0 10,

The part numbers for the head pipe and the muffler on a 2004 are different from the part numbers for the head pipe and muffler on a 2005. I would conclude that the 2005 muffler will not bolt up to your stock 2004 head pipe.

ye i found that out the hard way. i was just wondering when you look at end cans for sale people list them as 04 to 06

Minty0 10,

Tough luck to spend money on something that does not do the job intended. Unfortunately, caveat emptor applies world-wide.