2009 Yz450f best exhaust?

To read eltoro's complaint about the header/oil filter interference one would think it was a major problem; it's not. And, BTW, as far as having everything worked out before building, you should know that Yamaha did exactly the same thing for the first 3 years of YZ400/426 production, and in fact, the header usually had to be completely removed.

The DRD header need only be loosened and pulled upward less than half an inch to remove the upper front bolt holding the cover. Only the outside nut holding the header needs to be bothered with. Not really a very big deal once you stop whining about it. The pipe could have been made to clear it, but it wasn't. Big deal.

I substituted a stud and nut for the long bolt, and I remove the cover without disturbing the header.

I substituted a stud and nut for the long bolt, and I remove the cover without disturbing the header.

Grayracer, could you please explain this to me?, sorry I'm losing my english skills, you're saying there's a way to change the oil filter without loosing the header of the DRD system? do you have pics? This is the main reason why I wasn't completely sure about DRD besides all the good comments.

• 5 months later...
increase the flow rate. I believe it adds more power.

Kinda like a placebo?

One of these days I would love to see someone do dyno numbers on this and put this debate to bed. There's guys that tell me they can feel it, but I can't tell a difference.

increase the flow rate. I believe it adds more power.
I believe that if you hold onto this magic feather, you can fly.

dumbot.jpg

I run the DRD system with the sparky in place out of necessity (rules) and I can flat out tell you that whether a dyno can tell it's there or not, I have $50 that says you can't (my son already lost that bet).

The one downside to running it is what happens if the pipe starts blowing packing out. It could theoretically pack up on the screen and cause problems. In two years, this has never happened.

I got a really nice Jardine RT-5 system new off eBay for $170 Canadian, and it comes with a spark arrestor. It seems to have about the same sound output as stock...maybe a bit more of a growl, but not louder. The power difference is a lot through the bottom and mid from what I felt, and the fit/ finish is excellent! It is a stainless header system with a polished aluminum can, with a really nice carbon fiber end tip. Thumbs up from me.

I believe that if you hold onto this magic feather, you can fly.

dumbot.jpg

I run the DRD system with the sparky in place out of necessity (rules) and I can flat out tell you that whether a dyno can tell it's there or not, I have $50 that says you can't (my son already lost that bet).

The one downside to running it is what happens if the pipe starts blowing packing out. It could theoretically pack up on the screen and cause problems. In two years, this has never happened.

:banghead:?:bonk: Classic

This has happened to me, and you know I had the screen out. I wonder what would have happened if I had the screen in.

Gray,can please post pics and specs of the stud and nut that replaces long oil filter bolt for those of us that use the Dr.D pipe.
Not without taking the bike apart, no.

But the bolt that the stud replaces is 65mm long, so you would need to find a M6x1.0x75mm stud (good luck with that), or a bolt at leas that long and cut it down and thread the end yourself (which is how I dealt with it). The length is something you'll need to experiment with, as it needs to bottom out in the case, but still extend only as far as one or two threads past a low profile lock nut.

The nut can be difficult to get onto with an open end wrench, and is much easier to deal with by using a custom ground box end. I do sometimes wonder if it's really that hard to loosen the header and pull it out of the way, frankly.

• 11 months later...