Help - Cycra hand guards on 09 WR450F

Hey guys,

I have put hand guards on about a dozen bikes but I have never run into this problem.

It looks like the Pro Taper bars were cut about an inch short on the throttle side - I am guessing to avoid binding of the throttle tube on the end of the bar.

The clutch side comes right to the end of the grip.

Looks like I have two choices:

1) buy at least one longer bolt for the Cycra hand guard on the throttle side so that it can reach from the hand guard, through the end of the throttle tube and into the handlebar. Problem - weak throttle side hadnguard as the guard it self will not be snugged up against the handle bar.

2) Pull the grips, cut the left side of the handlebar so that it is equal to the throttle side and then put it all back together with the end of the handlebars right up tot he end of the grips. Problem - my bars will be two inches shorter, well actually the left side of the bar will be one inch shorter, the right will stay the same, but the grips themselves will be two inches closer together and I like them were they are now. Also, it looks like Yamaha and Pro Taper designed it for the throttle to be away from the bar because right now there is an equal amount of smooth bar exposed on both sides, if I cut the left side it will be unequal.

What did you guys do?

Thanks

Isn't this a brand new bike, if so the bars shouldn't be cut short? Can you tell its been cut, or did they just not slide the throttle tube and brake controls far enough on the bars, which would make it look short?

Did you get the U-clamp kit, or the triple clamp mount kit?

You shouldn't have to do anything they should bolt right up, except cut the very end off the throttle tube so it doesn't hang.

In the words of the late great Gilda Radner from SNL "Never Mind"

Yea, as I dug into it a bit deeper and pulled out the tape measure it became clear that the dealer did a very poor job of assembly. They failed to put the throttle tube all the way on the bar.

I am trying to use the U-clamps. Not really digging the way they are lining up, or should I say not lining up, but I will keep messing with it.

Thanks

I had the same problem on my '08. For the price they should bolt right on without having to monkey with them. I went back and exchanged them until I found a set that fit. Took three times but eventually I found the MooseRacing handgards fit. They were also almost half the cost so in the end it was worth it.

Yea I did some more research and it looks like the best way to go with these hand guards is to use the side mount triple clamp mount so that is what I ordered. I should have done even more research before I ordered. Oh well, in the end I think I will be happy with these guards.

I found the Cycra to bolt right up with no problems at all and minimal cussing, lol. In fact they were the easiest set I've put on yet, easier than my EE guards, plus the U-bend mounts make room for the cables.

I looked at the triple clamp mount ones before I got these, and after hearing some horror story's of people bending/warping their tripple clamps, which are way more expensive than hand guards, and/or handlebars, I decided not to go that route, plus i hear they add more vibration to the bars as well. Of course this is all hearsay, I have no experience with the triple clamp mounts, and decided to stay old fashion.

I find the best thing to do is get everything together really loose before tightening anything so you can get it in place. I usually loosen up the levers and everything else on the handlebars so I can easily move everything to line up and fit just right. Take your time, and if you get frustrated, take a break and come back after you cooled down.

I found the Cycra to bolt right up with no problems at all and minimal cussing, lol. In fact they were the easiest set I've put on yet, easier than my EE guards, plus the U-bend mounts make room for the cables.

I looked at the triple clamp mount ones before I got these, and after hearing some horror story's of people bending/warping their tripple clamps, which are way more expensive than hand guards, and/or handlebars, I decided not to go that route, plus i hear they add more vibration to the bars as well. Of course this is all hearsay, I have no experience with the triple clamp mounts, and decided to stay old fashion.

I find the best thing to do is get everything together really loose before tightening anything so you can get it in place. I usually loosen up the levers and everything else on the handlebars so I can easily move everything to line up and fit just right. Take your time, and if you get frustrated, take a break and come back after you cooled down.

That right their solves all the problems:thumbsup: I had the triple side mounts but for me they did not allow enough adjustment for the hand shield up/down. I went with the u-mounts and have been happy with the adjustability.

Yea I did some more research and it looks like the best way to go with these hand guards is to use the side mount triple clamp mount so that is what I ordered. I should have done even more research before I ordered. Oh well, in the end I think I will be happy with these guards.

I disagree I have the side triple clamp mount and I don't like it. it bends easy every time you drop the bike and pushes everything out of shape. eventully they bend enough to impinge on the clutch lever.

Another problem I have with the triple clamp mount is when I installed my Scott's sub mount clamp and steering damper The bars were raised quite a bit which I like because it gives a great stand up riding position. However with the triple clamp mounts it pulls the hand guards down in front.

I prefer the u-clamp set up. They have good clearance for cables and hoses.

during installation take more time to mock up the install and check the fit. I make small bend adjustments to the hand guard using the vise. I will make a small twist or bend at the ends to make them fit better then when I am happy I tighten them up with locktite. do not put locktite on the wedge clamp inside the bar end.

After several crashes you get more practice at removing and refitting the hand guards. I crash a lot so I get a lot of practice. once set up right I love the Cycra's I can't imagine riding without them

I first bought the Cycra triple clamp mounts for my '08 WR 450 and had a hard time getting it to line up nicely. I exchanged it for the CRM [center reach mounts] and like how they fit. I have taken two falls on them so far and they tweeked a few degrees, but it was something that I could fix easily. My guess is that the tripple clamps mount more solid, but sometimes a little give is OK. Then again, what doI know - I'm just a newbie that is addicted to TT and my WR. :worthy:

Still not diggin them. I think the u-clamp should fit flush with the bars. Meaning the taper machined into the clamps should be the same as the taper on the bars. It does match in one area of the bar. If I moun the u-clamp in that area of the bar, I will have to cut a good inch off the inner end of the hand guards and drill new holes. If I move the u-clamp down the bar so that it lines up with the hand guard then only the edges of the u-clamp make contact with the bar.

Over $100, I thought these would fit better. We'll see what happens when I get the triple clamp mount.

Are you sure you have the mounts on the right side? They are marked with an R and L for right and left, and are you sure they are for Pro-Taper bars? Should be a P/T on them as well. You shouldn't be having these problems with them. Cycra has been around for awhile and seem to know what they are doing. If you have the mounts on the correct side, they will pull up tight and flush to the bars when you tighten everything up.

Sounds like they sent you the wrong mounts, not that it matters anymore if you're going to the triple clamp mounts, but I would say thats what your problem is bro. Shoot them an email or call them and find out.

I'm pretty sure the Pro-Taper handlebar hasn't changed on the WR since 07, so I think you should be using the P/T mounts.

Well, I just went back to the TT store and looked at part #s and my order confirmation and it looks like I ordered the correct P/N and they sent the correct P/N. Could be a packaging error.

In the end, I think I would rather have the t-clamp mounts. I don't race and the VAST majority of my falls are low to no speed tip overs that do nothing but bend levers w/o the hand guards. I doubt I will be crashing hard enough to destroy my t-clamps. At least I hope that is the case.

Well, I just went back to the TT store and looked at part #s and my order confirmation and it looks like I ordered the correct P/N and they sent the correct P/N. Could be a packaging error.

In the end, I think I would rather have the t-clamp mounts. I don't race and the VAST majority of my falls are low to no speed tip overs that do nothing but bend levers w/o the hand guards. I doubt I will be crashing hard enough to destroy my t-clamps. At least I hope that is the case.

the triple clamp mounts are awful, they bend and don't fit. I started with them and switched to the U clamp. which have worked fine. to install my U clamps I swapped the left with the right and flipped them upside down.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like they sent you the wrong mounts, not that it matters anymore if you're going to the triple clamp mounts, but I would say thats what your problem is bro. Shoot them an email or call them and find out.

I'm pretty sure the Pro-Taper handlebar hasn't changed on the WR since 07, so I think you should be using the P/T mounts.

There is a difference in the 07 and 08 pro taper bars. I had the same problem with my cycra mounts that were listed for the pro taper bars. In 08 Pro Taper changed the bar design. I called Cycra and you have to use the mounts for the 08 KTM Renthal bars on the 08 Pro Taper bars. The part number is 7230-02X and the mounts are stamped KTM.

Thanks but too late for me. I ended up positioning the mounts to where they fit best on my bars and then bent the guards to fit, cut them to length, and drilled new wholes.

In the end I am happy with the final product, I have something "custom" and I saved a could of ounces of weight.