Dirt in Carb?

Ok, I have a problem with my 2002 WR426. I seem to be getting dirt in my carb/jets somehow. It doesn't seem to be coming in through the air cleaner as the tubing between the filter and throttle plate are perfectly clean, not a spec of dust. Yet when I open the carb there is dirt inside. How? All my vent tubes are factory length and hang under the bike. I clean/oil my filter every other ride. It isn't even that dusty where I ride. The bike will run fine for weeks then it will suddenly get a bad fuel problem and won't get better until I take apart the carb and clean it all. HELP!!!

I have a similar condition. I get dirt in the top of the carb. Doesn't seem to affect performance or clog any jets. My airbox and tube are clean. Could air/dirt come in from say the choke or Hot start circuit? Another possibility might be from around the intake bell but that seems clean also. I don't think it is coming from the fuel but I should put in a filter to be sure. Never thought of it. Thanks

Dan

If the dirt "Inside The Carb" is in the float bowl, install an in-line fuel filter. That'll prevent dirt from entering with the gas.

Actually, no it won't. I had an in-line filter on my YZ and still got dirt in the carb. There is already a screen in the petcock, just so you know. Make sure the airbox to carb clamp is nice and tight- I'd recommend replacing the phillips screw in the clamp with an allen head screw- you can get it a lot tighter without having to worry about stripping it that way.

All very valid points,I also would add if you have a DR. D hotstart,inspect that as well.The junction where the cable comes in the carb (at the threaded nut) Dirt seems to find its way into the hot start curcuit.My .02 cents ?