450f down to a 250f question

I have an 08 yz 450f and am thinking of stepping down to a 250f. Things I'm worried about are my weight and my endurance. I weigh 190lbs, no gear, and as far as endurance goes, the 450f kicks my butt. My question to you guys is, after getting the 250f suspension setup for my weight, would It be easier or harder for me to keep up my same pace. I understand the 250 is less bike and I would have to be on the gas more to stay consistant with my 450f lap times, but would the smaller bike help make up some time in the turns and with overall endurance? I'm a novice rider and only ride tracks.

You'll be fine on the 250f. Its not as fast or as powerful as the 450, but how often do you ride the bigger bike at speeds that the smaller bike can't handle.

A faster bike does not make you a faster rider. There are plenty of guys bigger than you that are very, very fast on smaller bikes.

Its mostly the rider, not the bike.

I totally agree with mauricedorris comment 'Its mostly the rider not the bike'. I am the first to admit my bikes out perform me in almost every situation, and in many they save me.

If you find the 450 a hand full I am sure the 250 will suit you better.

Also if the tracks you ride tend to be tight you will probably find the less powerful bike easier to handle.

I have both. (-07 YZ250F, -08 YZ450F). I'm 200 lbs. and a B rider here in Finland which is probably novice in so.cal.

I enjoy both bikes, but am faster(even over a moto) on the 450. I still ride the 250 because it forces me to actually ride rather than just twist the throttle to gain speed and to clear anything.

The 250 is somehow nicer to ride. It just flows and you can feel like a hero with being WFO more of the time. The harder(as in not soft) and twistier the track is, the more advantage the 250 will have over the 450.

If you can go back to a 450 budget-wise after a year or two on the 250, I would definitely make the switch (I went to only the 250 for a year and then got the 450).

I know I can consistently put down lap times within .5 of a second on my 250F vs. my 450. The difference is after 7 laps I'm dead on my 450, but I don't feel tired at all on my 250F. I definitely think a 250F takes less energy to ride. You should be fine.

I know I can consistently put down lap times within .5 of a second on my 250F vs. my 450. The difference is after 7 laps I'm dead on my 450, but I don't feel tired at all on my 250F. I definitely think a 250F takes less energy to ride. You should be fine.

That's more of what I was looking to hear. I'm good for lets say 5 laps, then I hit a wall and just want to quit. If I could stay with in .5 seconds or so and put in an extra 2-3 laps, I think I would enjoy riding more.

I ride the 450 and when I ride my sons 250 the power just isn't there, but it is a lot easier to handle. I'm so use to the power being right there, feels way different. I don't race so maybe my 2cents isn't that great.

If I can only have one bike, it has to be the 450.

But there's no denying the YZ250F is FUN, especially in it's element. One of our ride spots is an area known for fairly fast trails, loose traction, and hard, banked switchbacks. We met a group of less familiar riders where some of the guys from our group knew some from the other group, and we ended up riding together.

Junior was at the front, pushing the fast guys all day. Later this CRF450 rider about 10 years younger than me, and whose butt Junior had been kicking all morning long, asked how old my son was. At the time, he was 14. The Honda guy says, "14? Isn't that kind of young to be riding a 426?"

I just smiled and said, "It's a 250."

Should have seen his face.

The bike has to be ridden, but they're fast, and they can be really enjoyable.

I am a big guy and I sometimes ride my buddies 250F and in the woods I am faster on it than I am my 250 2T or my new 450F. It is easier to ride fast and since you pretty much run it wide open all the time you don't have to be on top of your throttle control like the 450. If I had some extra cash laying around I would buy a 250F to add to the stable.

Soot

Joe,

I think you'll be fine on the 250F. Look at all the guys riding 250F's at our local tracks, they are flying! However, I the 450F eaiser to ride but I'm about 50lbs heaiver than you and I also hit up trails washes when the more power the better. After I had my suspension done, my bike doesn't seem to beat me up as much either. I've also never had a "true" MX 250 bike. I don't consider my 08 WR 250 a true MX bike when I compare it to my 08 KX 450 or my 09 CRf 450F.

To be honest and to make a long story short, I think you'll be more consistant/faster on a 250F than your 450F. Do you have any idea which brand of 250F you're leaning to? The new Honda 250F looks pretty good but so the the 2010 Zook. Good luck buddy!

T

You might like the yz 250 two stroke it doesn't have the raw power the 450 has but still has more than enough and is alot easier to control than the 450. I love 4 strokes but 2 strokes are still fun to ride on the track they are more nimble and lighter.

You might like the yz 250 two stroke it doesn't have the raw power the 450 has but still has more than enough and is alot easier to control than the 450. I love 4 strokes but 2 strokes are still fun to ride on the track they are more nimble and lighter.

2 strokes are a LOT more fun. but no way are they easier to control than a 450 (at least not in my opinion)

2 strokes are a LOT more fun. but no way are they easier to control than a 450 (at least not in my opinion)

I agree my 09 yzf450 is much eaiser to controll than my 01 yz250. The power is instant and explosive on the 250 but the 450 is just a smooth powerfull pull. Although everyone says the 08 and 09 yzf450 is slow. Mabey thats it?

Speak for yourself. Two-strokes are annoying.

:worthy:

annoying? I guess you could look at it that way. I would say that they require a lot more input and effort to ride (offroad) and the suspension is not as plush.

But everyone likes the adrenaline rush you get when you are just on the pipe and you whack the throttle, don't they?

One day, I would like to spend more time on a yz450 as opposed to my wr , which isn't exactly a pig, but its definitely big-boned. I think the yz450 would be more fun than the wr and more comparable to the 2 stroke.

Get a 250F you will not be dissapointed! My first bike was an 04 YZ250F and i really could ride in better than a larger bike. I've had quite a few times when people thought for sure it was a 426/450. More power of a big bike is good ONLY if your using it. If i'm using almost all the power of a 250F and everyone else is barely using any of there 450, who's really putting more horsepower to the dirt? And the mentioned bonus of not getting tired as fast cuz you're focused on riding, Not holding on! I was 175 when i had my F and it worked well in the Imperial dunes, you just learn to flow more. I couldn't beat a big bike all the way up oldsmobile BUT i could beat em at least half way up:)

Jeez, that 2-stroke vs 4-stroke argument pops up everywhere!

I downsized to a 250F last fall. It is fun to ride, handles well, its fast enough, and I like riding it, but now I'm ready to go back to a bigger bike for a while. It is fun to learn how to ride a smaller bike, so who cares if you are a tiny bit slower on a 250F?