Catastophic Failure

mjw1, it was the original piston, so ,like yours, it is its' 3rd season.

Did yours seize? Seems like , if it burned a hole in the piston, it would just quit running before it could burn all the oil. The exhaust looks pretty clean and dry.

I'll let you guys know how much damage is done , and the cause, if known when it gets opened up. I hate to make a basket case out of it until we're sure we can afford to fix it right.

A very good but expensive mechanic told me he has seen them seize because of no oil and he only had to replace the rings and piston, not even the cylinder. If we get the worst case scenario, about $2500

How could the oil get pumped into the cooling system? I have a friends bike that had some oily looking stuff in the cooling system and also pushed out a head gasket. I would like to know why before I put the bike back together. His bike is a 04 250f. Thanks

The only way to find out for sure is to take the top end apart.

How could the oil get pumped into the cooling system?
I have a friends bike that ... pushed out a head gasket.
Asked and answered.

i "herd" some times the seal behind the water pump that seals the impellar shaft can go bad and let oil leak into the coolant...this would be the best and cheapest possible scenario for oil in the anti freeze!:worthy:

if thats ok, then its a head gasket

i "herd" some times the seal behind the water pump that seals the impellar shaft can go bad and let oil leak into the coolant...this would be the best and cheapest possible scenario for oil in the anti freeze!:worthy:

if thats ok, then its a head gasket

I don't know where you herded whatever it is you herd, but you heard wrong.

There is a gap between the coolant and oil seals that leads to the outside expressly so that coolant leaking from the impeller seal cannot cross contaminate the oil supply. Other than the one genius I saw who screwed a bolt into the drain hole because he thought a missing plug was the source of his coolant leak, it can't happen.

I don't know where you herded whatever it is you herd, but you heard wrong.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :worthy:

hey i said i herd it...thats why i put it in quotes...the guy i bought my bike from gave me a bunch of seals and he pointed the impellar shaft seal out(the one that presses in the case..bout the size of a quarter) and told me if you get oil in your radiator check that seal first...made sense to me but i never took to seal out to see whats behind it....i assumed it sealed off the crank case from the water pump chamber...my bad