Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hawaii_Racer

2009 YZ450 Oil Breather hose

5 posts in this topic

Ok so I have a new 2009 YZ450 and I am getting a LOT of oil out of the head breather hose. I ran it quite a while with it bowing oil out (didn't notice) engine didn't seize so could I have done any other damage? What could cause oil to blow out of this? I swear I put the proper amount of oil in. The bike is only 4 months old.

But did you drain the proper amount OUT? How many drain plugs did you remove in the process, and did you remove the dip stick prior to draining?

The amount I drained looked pretty small (hence I'm wondering since it didn't seize what else could have gone wrong?) When I drained it I drained the two bolts and removed the filler cap. I however did not remove the dip stick. Could that have prevented some of the oil from coming out even though I had the filler cap removed?

... I however did not remove the dip stick. Could that have prevented some of the oil from coming out even though I had the filler cap removed?
Yes, that's why I brought it up.

The proper amount after draining the "tank", the sump and the filter is exactly one liter. Fill a fresh quart to the one liter line and you'll be good.

Was the bike warmed up or cold before you drained? A warmed bike drains more oil.

Did you drain any oil from the oil filter cavity and put in a clean filter? The oil passages there and throughout the bike hold quite a bit of oil. I also very lightly push the kick starter down a couple of times with the kill button pushed. This also helps to drain more oil, but makes a mess if you do not have a oil catch under the bike. :worthy: