2009 KLR 650, Spanking New....problem

I just got my new KLR home, which is my first DP and absolutely love. For the city it is so much more fun than my old Honda GT 650. Curbs and speed bumps are so much more fun. Anyways my issue(s).

I got it home, went over nuts and bolts, checked chain tension, air filter etc. Got to checking the oil and it was just below the bottom line. Not cool. Anyways, I cant seem to find a manual on this bike and figure I should drop the oil and put some fresh rotella in. How much oil does this dang bike take???

Any other things you guys recommend me checking?

Thanks for your help and speedy answers. Cheers.

Also my antifreeze was real murky looking, is this okay? Sorry bad joke, ive been :worthy: in the head too much

• 2 weeks later...
You will find that if you refill with 2.5 liters (the recommended amount) after an oil and filter change the oil will completely cover the sight glass.

Ron

Yup what he said. ?

Rottella T is a great oil.

RED08

I have a month old 09 with 800 miles. Oil leak showed up from the oil filter canister cover at 400 miles. Had dealer service at 600. Did not replace the o-ring gasket, they re-used the old one. Still leaks. Have seen on blogs others are experiencing same problem. Any permanent dealer solutions as yet?

Oil ends up on my boot. Given a sufficiently long enough time in the saddle, my concerns are oil getting on the bottom of my boot, and affecting contact with the brake pedal.

No dealer solutions. It seems you may have to battle to try and get a new machined case. Ive had mine for a month now. Within the first 1K miles it was burning oil. I was told anything morethan 1gt and than Kawasaki would be concerned, but anything less is ok for a big thumper during break-in. I am now at 3,200 miles and still adding about a half qt per 1K miles. Anyone else in the smae boat? I did do the proper Kawi break in (1st 500 5krpm 2nd 500 6krpm) and have changed my oil three times already.

anyone in the same boat

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks guys. I find that my rear shock is HORRIBLE in the chop. Is this rebound that i need to play with?

FReplace it with a new Progressive 420 shock. :ride: Then get a better set of fork springs and spacers to fit your weight and riding style. I did it this last spring and it transformed the whole bike. There's so much more control on paved road, gravel, and off road. I bought my stuff last winter from Happy Trails for about $400 on sale.

• 2 weeks later...

well it only burns high when the crankcase pressure is uber high ie high RPM cruising 5.5K. When I am city riding it doesnt burn a lick. My fender usually has some black to it after a thousand miles that I need to clean off.

I definately need to upgrade the suspension. thanks

I bought my KLR650 6/11/09, I rode it 13.2 miles and it died. I called the Kawasaki shop and they came and picked it up, and delivered it the next day. They said a hose was crimped and the gas tank could not get any air.

I love my KLR I have 2,500 miles on it now with no more trouble, EXCEPT the balancer-cam shain makes a nocking noise when I start off in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear. I took it back to the shop and they tightened the cam chain, and it is making that noise again. The only thing that I have done to improve the bike is remove the 15 tooth sprocket and replace it with a 16 tooth sprocket on the primary. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

I wish my KLR was a two stroke! Be a whole lot lighter and a whole lot faster!

I believe if you check out the klr650.net you will read many posts about a "doo hickey" mod that will fix your problem. I have logged 5.5K miles on mine and havent heard any different engine noise from it.

I bought my KLR650 6/11/09, I rode it 13.2 miles and it died. I called the Kawasaki shop and they came and picked it up, and delivered it the next day. They said a hose was crimped and the gas tank could not get any air.

I love my KLR I have 2,500 miles on it now with no more trouble, EXCEPT the balancer-cam shain makes a nocking noise when I start off in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear. I took it back to the shop and they tightened the cam chain, and it is making that noise again. The only thing that I have done to improve the bike is remove the 15 tooth sprocket and replace it with a 16 tooth sprocket on the primary. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Time to do the DOO! (tensioner spring and lever in the left side case)

X2 on KLR650.net.

They have all the info.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
:busted: PUN INTENDED! Don't know about ticking, but that doo is a problem. From what I have read the 09s have doo springs that are too long new! It is not hard to do, I did mine in the dark! Eagle Mfg is the best, and I would buy directly from Eaglemike, leave msg and he will get back to you. There are imitations! If you are planning to keep it for a long time, get the torsion spring option, ~13$ well spent. Check out the maint. & mods section , KAWI is notorious for under lubing the rear suspension linkage,(swingarm pivot, UNITRAK thing....) great bikes though, been round the world. Shocks leave lot to be desired but Eagle makes raising links to trick bike into thinking it has stronger springs, but this only applies for the waistline impaired like me. I use left peg to mount so getting on wasnt a problem and the poor bike(mine 05) doesnt sag hideously when I sit fatness on it. Lets me ride 2-up, loaded also. Hopefully not a problem for you. I will get a new shock eventually, but 50-60 bucks for links best can do now. Enjoy:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...