98 wr400

New to site and loving it. A just purchased a 98 wr400 that when you wick the trottle quickly it wants to back fire through the carb and tries to die. What is your suggestion on the fix for this. I have not been to deep into it yet but the bike is realtively stock with an uncorked exhaust.

First take teh carb off and give it a thorough cleaning, as these bikes needed this frequently (at least mine does) (yearly). Put in a fresh plug. I finally got it jetting great with the James Dean kit (if you can still get them). Mine is a 99. Start at the carb and go from there. Also read all you can on carb tuning as it helps to understand how to adjust the carb for performance. You might want to check the exhaust as well for leaks and/or fresh packing needs/buildup of junk.

New to site and loving it. A just purchased a 98 wr400 that when you wick the trottle quickly it wants to back fire through the carb and tries to die. What is your suggestion on the fix for this. I have not been to deep into it yet but the bike is realtively stock with an uncorked exhaust.

thanks jekel, I have been riding atv's all my life but this thing is alittle more complexed than the 250R's that I am use to working on. I am getting it plated on friday and I want it to be running top notch when I get it done.

You will love the power and feel once it is dialed. I have compared it to YZ 400's and 250's up to 2001 and the WR really out performed them in the woods and on the track. These a re awesome bikes once tuned in for you. Never needed more power, and once I shortened the suspension it handled better than the others which were modified:-) Have not ridden the newer WR's, but never felt the need..