200+ lb riders?

I have a similar thread in the KLX section.

I am currently 230 without gear, and am considering a WR450 to replace my YZ450.

My YZ is plenty fast and powerfull, and I am wondering if any of you heavier guys can tell me how the WR does?

When I get the bike, I wont have any money to play with for a while, so exhuast, cams etc. will be out of the question. I hear the WR is a turd, but thats from people who are far more advanced than I.

any help would be appreciated.

I weight in at 230 and I have done all the free mods + a pipe and I have no issue when it comes to power...5th gear wheelies with desert gearing is easy (My ability to keep that wheelie up is the limiting factor :banana: )

The free mods are a must do...you could find a yz muffler on craigslist to get by with until funds are available.

With your weight, the biggest issue your going to run into is the suspension. However, with that said, a good tuner can work wonders on the stock forks :worthy:

You need to uncork and spend some money to get the wr 2 where u will want it! Suspention is a must at 230--get the springs and tools and do it yourself and use a true 7.5 weight oil $280?, if your not happy with that, yz forks or some re-valving.

A klx will not touch a wr mod for mod!!

Stock wr :banana: moded wr :worthy:

I weigh in at 250 and my biggest problem has been the suspension as well. I didn't have the $ to have a suspension shop go through it. I put in some new springs and revalved and now it is acceptable. Aside from that it's been a good bike.

Like everyone has stated, the suspension is the weak point for anyone over 200 lbs. I spent $75 on new race tech springs on ebay and $30 for fork oil and seals. With some basic mods to remove all of the emission restrictions, the power will be more than adaquate.

I went from a 2 stroke to a wr426 and the biggest adjustment for me was the weight of the bike. Sounds like that won't be a problem for you.

I'm 240lb, all free mods, pipe and a little shorter gearing. Because here is impossible to buy springs or revalve, I adjusted +2 comp and +1 rebound on the forks, and +2 comp +2 rebound on the shock, and adjusted the sag to my weight. It runs great and the susp does the job (i'm not a big jumper)

240lbs, free mods. I switch off with my buddy a lot on his YZ (both 04' models). The power delivery is definately mellower than the YZ, but it seems to pull longer. Probably due to the gearing of the wide ratio tranny. In a drag race, I can overtake him by third gear, even though he gets the jump on me at first. I can match his top speed without shifting into 5th. The suspension is a must. I have only done Race Tech springs, and it is way better. Big jumps are smooth, but small bumps, and rocks beat me up pretty bad. I am hoping to cure that with a revalve soon.

Its funny to hear YZF folks call the WR a turd, mostly cause they've only ridden(Or heard about) the extremely restricted WR's in stock form. Once uncorked, the power is almost identical except for the heavier fly wheel, wide-ratio tranny, and a little different cams, which produces a more usuable power IMO. I've had stock YZF folks hop on my bike and be completely amazed. The suspension will need some work if you're 200+ pounds and a jumper. The WR is by no means a turd though.

Its funny to hear YZF folks call the WR a turd, mostly cause they've only ridden(Or heard about) the extremely restricted WR's in stock form. Once uncorked, the power is almost identical except for the heavier fly wheel, wide-ratio tranny, and a little different cams, which produces a more usuable power IMO. I've had stock YZF folks hop on my bike and be completely amazed. The suspension will need some work if you're 200+ pounds and a jumper. The WR is by no means a turd though.

i thought "turd" was a little over doing it. i know most of the off road bikes need to be "uncorked" anyway i just wanted to check.

thanks for all your help so far.

Ask all the guys riding YZF in my class..... in 07' I won my class championship, and this was a "A" class :worthy: