How much damage?

A few weeks ago i overheated my 2006 yz450 because while i was riding, the o-ring that seals between the coolant pipe and the cylinder head failed and i unknowingly was losing coolant as i was riding. i was going into a turn and it bogged and stalled and steam or smoke started coming out from under the seat. anyways, i called it a day and packed up and headed home. i was able to get a new o-ring to fix the leak but i soon noticed that the rubber boot thing that covers the spark plug was melted/cracked, so i got a new one and figured that everything would be okay.

last week i rode and when i got home i noticed slight oil leak around the base of the cylinder, and my coolant level dropped sufficiently, and it seems that coolant is now getting into my oil.

how much damage do you think i may have caused by overheating my bike to the point that it stalled and smoked from under the seat? what steps should i take next? if i need to replace the base gasket should i just install a new top end while its apart?

sorry for the long post, i have just been losing sleep over the damage i may have caused.

anyone??

My buddy did this. Melted the piston had to redo the entire motor. Cost 2k.

I'm sure some of the most knowledgeable guys on here are either riding, drinking, or BBQing right now...

Give it a little time, you'll get some good advice...

But yeah, anytime you overheat to the point of stalling the bike, melting the spark plug boot, blowing a base gasket, and getting water contamination, it's not a good outlook...

You'll just have to open up the top end and check it out...Post MANY pics, then you'll get even more help (one picture is worth a thousand words)...

And I think Gray can somehow even tell what you had for lunch the day you stalled it just by looking at your cylinder wall...:worthy:

You'll just have to open up the top end and check it out...

You can speculate all day, or worry all night, but that's where you end up anyway.

Gray after looking at a pic of your cylinder:

"I can see you were ring between 10 am and 11:30 am, the skys were partially cloudy and humidity was high. You were wearing Fox riding gear with Alpinestars boot and a TLD helmet. (By the way - you should replace your left glove - the stiches are coming loose, and you really should be wearing some sort of knee braces). There were 2 others riding with you - one friend on a 09 CR450R Honda, and another on an 08 YZ450F. At the time of the incident, you had run precisely 6 laps on your improvised track at a fast pace. The way your cylinder is scrored I can tell the majority of the damage occured during a fast left hand sweeper."

Etc, Etc, Etc.

:worthy:

The funny thing is I'm not exagerating all that much! Ha Ha

Gray after looking at a pic of your cylinder:

"I can see you were ring between 10 am and 11:30 am, the skys were partially cloudy and humidity was high. You were wearing Fox riding gear with Alpinestars boot and a TLD helmet. (By the way - you should replace your left glove - the stiches are coming loose, and you really should be wearing some sort of knee braces). There were 2 others riding with you - one friend on a 09 CR450R Honda, and another on an 08 YZ450F. At the time of the incident, you had run precisely 6 laps on your improvised track at a fast pace. The way your cylinder is scrored I can tell the majority of the damage occured during a fast left hand sweeper.

Etc, Etc, Etc.

:banana:

The funny thing is I'm not exagerating all that much! Ha Ha

:worthy::banana: :banana: