HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
law_boy

03 WR450 loses power after jump or big bump

6 posts in this topic

My O3 WR450 loses power for a couple seconds and almost dies after a jump or a big bump. Then it returns to normal and just keeps going like nothing happened. What would cause this? I have no idea where to start. The bike only has about 1400 miles on it and it everything seems to be in good shape. Any ideas?

Thanks.

My O3 WR450 loses power for a couple seconds and almost dies after a jump or a big bump. Then it returns to normal and just keeps going like nothing happened. What would cause this? I have no idea where to start. The bike only has about 1400 miles on it and it everything seems to be in good shape. Any ideas?

Thanks.

From my experience this is from fuel cavitation, or fuel starvation.

Have you re-jetted the carb from stock? If not, that is something you need to do.

Try landing with the throttle on and see if still bogs out. Check your float hieght.

I did the jetting myself and it worked ok but then I had it in to the dealer for the woodruff key upgrade/repair issue and they did the jetting for me. Worked so much better. This was back in 04. Never had a problem since then.

Now that I think about it, I don't know if I have the throttle on when I land or not. I don't really jump my bike much - I have just noticed this happen on the few occasions when I happen to come across a nice berm or something that begs for a little launch, like those drainage cuts on fire roads, etc. Also, occassionally a big enough bump will do it. Interestingly, I can ride whoops and have no problem but if I launch off one and land hard enough it starts to die out sometimes.

I'll check the posts on float height to find out what that's all about.

I had the same prob .I opened the drain bolt on the bottom of the carby and it went away . I assume there must have been water in the bowl.