HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KYKID69

99 wr400-Extremely Hard to Kick!!

4 posts in this topic

Scored a 1999 wr400 last weekend and can't get the thing started at all!:lol: I am familiar with the starting procedure because my brother has the exact same bike and starting his is no sweat. A lot of the time I can't even get a full kick and it stops mid way down almost breaking my foot in half(wearing boots ). So i'm pretty frustrated with it :worthy: It seems to have tons of compression. Do I need a 300lb friend to start this thing?

What is causing this thing to be so hard to kick? Is it essential to install the hot cam exhaust on these things???:lol: :lol:

you're OBVIOUSLY NOT familiar with the starting procedure and your brother's bike has tight valves or worn rings or the auto decomp cam installed.......

The way to start the bike is:

Kick down to where it won't go anymore (the point where your foot breaks in half - yes - it's supposed to do that in stock form)

Now look by your left hand, you got this little lever right there - no, not the clutch - smaller - and probably black, you probably think it's a hot start lever.....

Well, now that the kicker has stopped, pull this little lever and I like to move the kicker another inch or so - just a little. Release the lever, bring the kicker up and kick it through nice and solid and fast just once (don't blip the throttle, matter of fact - don't even put your hand on the throttle - rest it on the tank).

A properly set up bike will come to life immediately.

I thought mine was gone break my leg at times. I did install the hot cams with auto de-comp and I will not go back. To each it's own but for me, hot cams are the way to go on these manual de-comp bikes. And I did get the magic super duper sequence down just right where it did not break my leg, even with flip- flops on.

Good luck with this great bike.