Front Brake Upgrade

I was able to test the Honda master cylinder and pads for about two hours of ride time. The most noticeable change is the the rock solid feel at the lever. The brake engages much sooner now, which is one of the main things I was looking for. Also, there is no fade or any change in lever feel when riding for an extended period of time. As for braking performance as in the strength of the brake, it was slightly stronger. The best change was that the lever was stronger sooner, but wasn't as grabby as the previous set-up I was running. Even with the EBC oversize rotor, the braking was strong but controlled . Overall I am happier with the new set-up ( honda master cylinder and pads, EBC 280mm rotor, stock brake hose, Motul RFB 600 brake fluid), but was expecting a bit more overall strength?

How long did you test the brakes? I felt like mine needed close to an hours riding time to break in. Also, new ebc rotors are coated with some sort of gold colored material. I always had to clean this gold stuff off of the pads before they would stop well...then look out.

I have about two hours of testing time on the most recent set-up. The EBC oversize rotor along with EBC brake pads itself had already been on the bike for about 75 hours, and I imagine the coating is well worn off the rotor after being in use that long? What should I clean the Honda pads with? I did scrub them with a scotch brite pad, but it may not have been enough. The Honda pads are used, but seem to have plenty of life left.

I always used 4500 or 600 grit paper..oh hell, who an I kidding. I once cleaned a friends brake pads by doing figure 8's on the driveway and it was fine!

I THINK pads go bad over time from soap and washing them.

I THINK pads go bad over time from soap and washing them.

Depends on the composition. A lot of automotive pads will harden and glaze, absorb contaminants, and generally lose effectiveness as the age, even if they don't wear out.

Will this mod work on an 07 WR450 as well ?

Does it use the same front caliper as the YZ ?

So just to make sure I have it all correct- I only need a CRF master cylinder, not the caliper, and Honda OEM brake pads? I have no complaints with my front brake, but more stopping power is never a bad thing.

RCannon- if that SS front brake hose needs a new home I know a fella that will give it one :ride:

So just to make sure I have it all correct- I only need a CRF master cylinder, not the caliper, and Honda OEM brake pads? I have no complaints with my front brake, but more stopping power is never a bad thing.

More stopping power without a commensurate amount of control is a bad thing. Being able to lock the front or stand the bike on end easily IS good, as long as it only happens when you try to do it.

You're correct; M/C and pads, not the caliper.

RCannon- if that SS front brake hose needs a new home I know a fella that will give it one :ride:

I have it hanging on the wall. Its a team Yamaha issue Fastline from the 2003 season. I might ad it someday, but right now its really not necessary.

I played with the front brake on all of the 2009 yzf in the line up today at the shop...plus the 08's and 07's , but thats another story....... None of them had a solid feel like the oem Honda stuff.

More stopping power without a commensurate amount of control is a bad thing. Being able to lock the front or stand the bike on end easily IS good, as long as it only happens when you try to do it.

You're correct; M/C and pads, not the caliper.

With all the changes I've made to my front brake along with a new dunlop MX31 front tire, I am still not able to easily lock the front or stand the bike on end easily. Any thoughts?

"Easily" is a subjective term.

Are you using new Honda pads, or still the used ones?

With all the changes I've made to my front brake along with a new dunlop MX31 front tire, I am still not able to easily lock the front or stand the bike on end easily. Any thoughts?

I think I would have a look at the brake pads. The rest of your components sound good or new.

I am still using the used Honda pads. I can pull the lever with my first two fingers as hard as I can at 10-15 mph and not lock the front wheel.

Hate to Highjack the thread but will the '08 Honda caliper bolt up to a '01YZ426 brake hanger? I've been been debating rebuilding the caliper and MC to solve the mush feeling, but this looks like a solution with less fustration.

If you are still running the original brake hose, that's where most of your trouble is. Replace it with a braided steel hose that uses the shorter "CR" routing path, like the '05 and later YZ's use.

I'm running a galfer hose and CR routing. Its better but not solid

I've read through this thread a few times, but all I can see is talk about newer bikes.... I have an 03 YZ 250, so what year of CR should I look to rob pads and a master from?? Sorry if I this was already asked