Front Brake Upgrade

The components all say "Nissan" on them.....QUOTE]

The components say "Nissin" on them..... "Nissan" is the car.

Yes, I know better...I had been looking at the cars all of Thursday.......Nissan on the brain as it were........

One other brake thing. The stock Yamaha "Nissin" pads have a dramatic on or off feel with not much in between. I have been able to make them fade and I'm not even a good rider.

If you go with aftermarket pads, avoid the "carbon" pads. These things feel like mush and perform the same. I have stacks of used brake pads and have spent way too much money on the search for something decent.

I did find a nice hop up for the rear brakes. Oddly enough it has nothing to do with the braking system or the commonly replaced parts. The piece I added was this. http://www.fasstco.com/products/brakespring.shtml

Its only 20.00. I have no idea why it helps so much. Its easy to install and makes the brake feel much better...no matter which pad your using.

I did find a nice hop up for the rear brakes. Oddly enough it has nothing to do with the braking system or the commonly replaced parts. The piece I added was this. http://www.fasstco.com/products/brakespring.shtml

Excellent find at a price most of us can easily digest. :worthy: Looking forward to giving this a shot.

One other brake thing. The stock Yamaha "Nissin" pads have a dramatic on or off feel with not much in between.

Not only that, but they're not that strong. The Honda pads add a better feel, firmer lever, and more power. Probably the best $32 I've spent of my YZ. Thanks again to RC for posting the idea originally.

I'm going to try and mount a cr/crf caliper to my 08 yz450. But first, which will add more brake feel and strength: the caliper and pads or the master cylinder? I have the stock 08 brake system with the EBC 280mm oversized kit with EBC sintered metal pads, and hate the mushy feel at the lever( have tried all typed of bleeding) and am looking for a solid feel at the lever that requires one finger to use the brakes hard. I'm also hoping to eliminate the need for the oversized rotor, but thats not as important as the feel I'm looking for.

Thanks

I would go with the caliper and pads first. I never cared much for the ebc pads. The 07 and new crf master with the built in linkage will give you 1 finger brakes...a soft one finger. This set-up is something you have to warn somebody about if they ride your bike....very strong. Still, you can use all Honda parts and end up with mush with bad pads.

so its the 07 and later crf models with the linkage? I was under the impression that it was the 08, but I'm probly wrong. Thanks for the quick reply:thumbsup:

Just confirmed that the 07 model was the first one with the linkage type master cylinder.

I've changed back my SS brake line to the stock one (02 YZ426F) and now it feels soooo soft and mushy. So SS lines are a good choice also and good brake fluid (DOT 5.0, 5.1)

Glad you found that linkage info. I dont know if that linkage makes one bit of difference as many have had great results using the non linkage m/c. But, it might be worth it since your buying one anyway. The prices for the brake parts were sort of comical. My local dealer wanted 42.00 for a set of oem Honda pads. I ended up checking ebay and bought an entire, never used caliper for 35.00. There must have been many Honda's beign parted out.

well, I was able to get a front master cylinder and whole caliper includung pads for a great price, so I went ahead and bought both. Well see how it works:thumbsup:

well, I was able to get a front master cylinder and whole caliper includung pads for a great price, so I went ahead and bought both. Well see how it works:thumbsup:

Where'd you find it and how much?

Looking into ebay now...Haven't found any good deals...

I found my stuff on ebay. There are several companies parting out bikes...Companies might be a stretch, but I suppose a person could call them businesses.

Where'd you find it and how much?

Looking into ebay now...Haven't found any good deals...

Try adrenaline cycles on ebay, I bought the last master cylinder I believe but they have plenty of caliper/brake pad combps for descent prices.

I recently bought a Honda front master cylinder and Honda front brake caliper to try to improve brake power and feel on my 08 yz450f. I had already installed a 280mm EBC oversize rotor with EBC sintered metal pads. The master cylinder was a newer link-type from a 2007 crf250r and the caliper was listed as a 2004-2008 caliper off ebay. The first thing that should be noted is although the complete Honda caliper slides right on to the yz450f caliper hanger, I was able to put the Honda brake pads right on my 08 yz450f caliper. Therefore, there was no need to buy the Honda caliper. Also, if the Honda master cylinder is used with the 2008 yz450f brake line, the metal end piece coming out of the banjo bolt needed to be bent slightly for my application( I am running full wrap hand guards). My complete front brake set-up is: 2007 crf250r Honda master cylinder(link type), 08 yz450f stock brake hose( slightly bend to fit master cylinder), stock 08 yz450f caliper, Honda brake pads from 2004-2008 crf250r, Motul RFB 600 dot 4 brake fluid, and an EBC 280mm rotor and the included caliper hanger. I will post some feedback on how it works, but in the garage the lever feel is very solid and the brakes grab much sooner than the stock system.

The first thing that should be noted is although the complete Honda caliper slides right on to the yz450f caliper hanger, I was able to put the Honda brake pads right on my 08 yz450f caliper. Therefore, there was no need to buy the Honda caliper.
This point has been noted before, but it bears repeating.
This point has been noted before, but it bears repeating.

It sure does, and sorry if I gave you bad info. on this point.

We had a member try it and he claimed it did not work. Also, the brake pad part number covered many years and suddenly made a change for 08 and 09. That appeared to confirm the pad change. The 07 pad number was 5MV-W0045-01-00 and the 08 pad changed to 5XC-W0045-00-00.

Even Renthal and EBC show a different part number for the 1998-2007 application vs the 2008 and 2009. I wish I had a picture of the pads for the two various years as I hate giving out bad info.

No big deal:thumbsup: I just haven't seen on any threads that the Honda pads would work on 08-09 Yamahas and thought the info. may be useful.

No big deal:thumbsup: I just haven't seen on any threads that the Honda pads would work on 08-09 Yamahas and thought the info. may be useful.

Its total useful......especially when the thought was it would not work.

The Honda pads are a nice upgrade.

I'm in the same boat with my 09 kx450, I can pull the lever all the way to the bars. I just put a honda crf150 m/c on it today and it really didnt seem to help. I guess the next step is ss line and ktm or honda pads?? I guess I'll prolly pick up an o/s rotor as well, unless you guys have any other suggestions?? Any help is appreciated.