What settings do you run your Scotts damper on?

I know this is a question about Scott's dampers but I want to know what settings you all run with the damper on your late model YZ's. I broke down and finally got one and want to know if there is a magic number of clicks.

Nate

Mine was used when I got it, and is on the second bike I've had it on. It's an older unit, and it doesn't click. I have the low speed set at around 1 turn out from seated, and the high speed at about 1 3/4 out. There are also independent left and right sweep adjustments.

If you go to the "Lit Rack" at Scotts web site, you can pick up a manual if you don't have one for yours for some reason. It explains the adjustment process and more.

I've got the manual but I was just wondering if there was a magic setting like with sag. It's the first damper I've owned so I've got a few things to learn.

Nate

I've got the manual but I was just wondering if there was a magic setting like with sag. It's the first damper I've owned so I've got a few things to learn.

Nate

I run mine 4 clicks out from closed or about 3/4 turn out on the low speed. High speed is at factory setting. I ride desert only.

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, being new to the Scotts, trying to get it set optimally for my riding...

Yesterday I rode a little with it set at 7 clicks out (which is the factory setting btw), and increased the side sweep a little (side screws bevels set at 3 o'clock)...

I liked these settings as I was able to just barely feel it actually working...Pretty hard to dial in quickly, and I think it's going to take many rides, because it's so hard to tell it's even doing anything, unless you take it off!

I was told though if you actually feel tension while turning the bars on a stand it's too stiff and will actually contribute to arm pump...The guy is a freaking great rider, but a crappy mechanic, so accept that input cautiously, lol...

He didn't like me increasing the sweep also, said it should break free and not be working at all in a tight turn, but I seemed to like it working more consistent throughout almost the whole range...

So no, I don't think there is a magic number at all like sag, just total personal preference...

I was told though if you actually feel tension while turning the bars on a stand it's too stiff and will actually contribute to arm pump...The guy is a freaking great rider, but a crappy mechanic, so accept that input cautiously, lol...

He didn't like me increasing the sweep also, said it should break free and not be working at all in a tight turn, but I seemed to like it working more consistent throughout almost the whole range...

So no, I don't think there is a magic number at all like sag, just total personal preference...

Thanks for the replies. I'm just looking forward to giving it some trial time:smirk:

I put my bike on my stand and set the dampner so that the bars can move left to right with little or no resistance. I have had pretty good luck with this method, and only have to adjust it when I encounter softer or sandy sections.