D/s Gearing

Used to run the Wr 15-50 with 89 on the gps topspeed . Im looking to do a maximum of 100mph - nothing more.

Would 15-45 be suitable? or should I look at a 48?

Just want to cruise 70mph on the highway without stressing the motor out!

I just went from 13/50, (stock on the 07-09), to 14/50 for my first DS ride...

I still ride A LOT of single track and I think I could still drop a tooth or two off the rear and keep a decent first gear.

The 14/50 allowed me a 45-50mph cruising RPM in 5th gear but I would like to cruise at 60 if I could and still be able to navigate tight technical stuff. I still race my plated bike in our local off road series:thumbsup:

try a 15 up front.. bike puts power down much better! I loved the 15 but i need a little more topend!

I wanna hear from someone with a 07' with a 15T first... the primary gearing is taller than the 06' or older already and I had to tool out the case saver just to get the 14T on there... I think the 15T would run the chain dangerously close to the case...

I think going to the 14T for me was the equivalent of you going to the 15T.. I hit 89 with the speedo no problem last weekend but it's ready to bounce off the rev limiter... I am thinking 14/48:ride:

are you certain the primary is higher?

Fairly certain but that's only based on seat of the pants feel and the fact that I had always dropped from a 14 to a 13 on my steel framed WR's and it felt lower than the 07' stock... but to tjhat point, I did try a 12T on my 07' and it was WAY to short....

I did run a 15T on my 04' for the Desert races and it worked well... I could not tell you what my top speed was but it had some top end. That was 15/50

speedo's arent that accurate... 89 on the gps saw me at nearly 100 on the speedo.

are you certain the primary is higher?

Yes 07 onwards has a higher primary and hence uses a 13t.

You won't get 100mph going 15/48, - 15/45 more likely but that is quite a jump. OK if you are mainly road use.

I use 15-50 on an '06, I would like a taller 5th for road but off-road the gearing is still usefully low enough so staying as it is for now...

Steve

I think going to the 14T for me was the equivalent of you going to the 15T

Don you are correct.

Having had both an 06 and now an 08, I think the best overall dual sport/desert gearing is 14/50 (for an 08) and 15/50(for a pre 07)

I have tried the 15/48 on my 06 and while it did pull the gearing up top to about 98mph, I found that I had to wind it out pretty good in the tight stuff. It was nice on the long rides and for cursing. I guess it really depends on what your looking for...

would the 15-45 be too tall for any offroad work?

Tight stuff yes...open stuff no

I think i might go with the 15-45 for gravel roads and jeep trails - also get the 12-13-14 counter shaft sprocket to make things abit easier on the technical rides.

after all the 3 countershaft sprockets cost about the same as 1 rear sprocket.

what you guys think?

I think i might go with the 15-45 for gravel roads and jeep trails - also get the 12-13-14 counter shaft sprocket to make things abit easier on the technical rides.

after all the 3 countershaft sprockets cost about the same as 1 rear sprocket.

what you guys think?

I know there are some trails around here i need 14/50 to get up the steep rutted hills etc .