HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lee0666

Correct way to start a 426 ?

8 posts in this topic

Hello all, I've just bought a WR426f 2002, my first 4 stroke. I have alot of trouble starting it (moved up from a RM250). I just wondered if there is a certain way to start these bikes as it tends to take me at least 5 or 6 attempts !! :worthy:

You are probably doing it right.

Kick to TDC

Pull decompression lever

Kick about 1-2 more inches

Release decompression lever

Lift the kick starter back to the top

Kick all the way through the stroke

Some people differ on whether or not to touch the gas during start up. Some people give it a crack before kicking if the bike it cold, others leave it alone. I tend to leave it alone and it starts fine.

If it takes a lot of kicking to start, you may need a valve adjustment.

Hope this helps,

Brian

You are probably doing it right.

Kick to TDC

Pull decompression lever

Kick about 1-2 more inches

Release decompression lever

Lift the kick starter back to the top

Kick all the way through the stroke

Some people differ on whether or not to touch the gas during start up. Some people give it a crack before kicking if the bike it cold, others leave it alone. I tend to leave it alone and it starts fine.

If it takes a lot of kicking to start, you may need a valve adjustment.

Hope this helps,

Brian

I just engage the choke before I start it, and I don't have to touch the gas. I just bought the bike and have barely even gotten to ride it yet, and I can already start it 1st or 2nd kick every time.

Without a lie. She will start up her 250x and then come over and start my 400. I just about fell over when she did it. If I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't believe it iether. The auto decompression makes all the difference in the world.

the auto decompression makes all the difference in the world.

True that :worthy:BUT I'm (I mean we :lol: ) are still waiting for a picture lol jk

I told her that you didn't believe it and she says we will have to get a video of her starting it. Now if only I had a video camera:banghead: . The best part of it all is that my son's 20 year old buddy can't even start it:lol: :lol: . He watched her start it after he tried, way to funny to see his reaction. The jetting is good and auto decompression is all it takes.

The first thing I told her when she got the 250x was that she had to be able to kick start it, and she can.

I might try to get a video somehow just for proof:smirk: :worthy: