Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wakeace

Oil leaking at Clutch push lever

13 posts in this topic

06 YZ450F- I noticed after my last ride that there was a silver dollar section on the top of the case that was wet with oil. I cleaned it off, checked the oil, and kept riding. less than hour later it was right back. I looked for any cracks in the case but the oil appears to be coming from the clutch push lever. Has anyone else had this problem? I am planning to remove the shaft for inspection and to replace the bearing/seal. Any other thought on what may be causing this?

Is it running down the line or coming up from below? Might be a loose fitting or a bad hose if lucky (assuming it is hydraulic). Is the fluid dirty? Squeeze and look for leaks. Need more info on bike model etc...

There's a rubber oil seal directly beneath the circlip...(#22, page 29, http://www.yamaha-motor.com.mx/Manual_Partes/Catalogos/Cross/YZ450F/2S28_2007.pdf )...

Try replacing that, and the bearings underneath it and you should be good to go...

But I believe you're going to have to open up the clutch in order to get the shaft out...

Gray, where are you? lol...

1 person likes this

I think you just have to remove the clutch pressure plate (the springs) to allow the pushrod to be loose, then you can get the shaft out to replace the bearings and seal...

Oh, and keep in mind that pdf parts list is for the 07, I'm not completely sure if the part # is the same for 06...

...I believe you're going to have to open up the clutch in order to get the shaft out...

You're correct. The clutch cover and pressure plate have to come off so that the inner, long push rod can be moved outward 6mm or so to allow the shaft to be slid upward and out.
1 person likes this

I doubt it is oil coming from the clutch via the seal.....I would guess there is cable lube and high temps that are causing the lube to come thru the cable out at the clutch arm on to the case.

That seal is exposed to the system oil pressure fed in at the end of the main shaft, so it's quite possible. Pretty rare, though.

That seal is exposed to the system oil pressure fed in at the end of the main shaft, so it's quite possible. Pretty rare, though.

very very rare but anything is possible