HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpacinDangler

Oil coming out of blow by tube?

9 posts in this topic

I was out riding this morning and after I was finished I noticed oil dripping out of the blow by tube after I shut the bike off. This is my first four stoke and am curious if this is normal,I overfilled it a little bit when i changed the oil,but not much. I had the top end checked when I bought it and everything was ok. Its a 98 WR400 by the way.:worthy:

normal - it's called a BREATHER tube - blow by is unburnt gas getting past your rings because they're too worn and allowing this gas into your oil contaminating the oil.

I have a '99 WR400 I checked the oil before riding and it was low. Topped off and then rode. A couple of days later before riding I checked the oil and it was low again. No smoke, or smell, no drips on floor other than the normal vent tube drip after riding. Does the oil sump completely drain after sitting a couple of days? I just changed the oil in it and I check it before each ride. I'm afraid I'm going to overfill the crankcase. Any thoughts please?

proper procedure for checking the oil is to start the bike - warm it up, shut it down, wait about 2 minutes and check - otherwise it'll show as low.

Matt4x4 is 100% correct. Let it warm up before you fill it with oil or the breather tube will violate your boots while you're riding if it's over filled.

Thanks for the help, I couldn't get to the manual I'm stuck in bed post-op. Again Thanks Andrew.