reliability...

So I am coming off of a 2000 yz426 with original top end and insane amounts of abuse with VERY little maintenance. My question is are the newer generation engines; 2006 yz450 and up just as reliable or close to it? I am thinking about upgrading, but have not heard as many great things about the reliability of the newer bikes, let me know of your guys' experiences

Thanks,

Marshall :worthy:

So I am coming off of a 2000 yz426 with original top end and insane amounts of abuse with VERY little maintenance. My question is are the newer generation engines; 2006 yz450 and up just as reliable or close to it? I am thinking about upgrading, but have not heard as many great things about the reliability of the newer bikes, let me know of your guys' experiences

Thanks,

Marshall :worthy:

Good question. From what I see on the forums, I honestly don't think the newer 450's hold up as well as the older 4XX's. Of course the YZF's have been so bullet-proof in the early years that I think some folks have become a little lethargic about proper maintenance when they've upgraded to the newer 450's.

Good question. From what I see on the forums, I honestly don't think the newer 450's hold up as well as the older 4XX's. Of course the YZF's have been so bullet-proof in the early years that I think some folks have become a little lethargic about proper maintenance when they've upgraded to the newer 450's.

X2

I seem to have seen the same thing. I think Gray said his 03 YZ had like 400 hours on the valves and original piston (new rings)??

My 03 has the original shims from the factory on all valves. They are just starting to get a little tight. I will adjust them when I see a little more movement. It also had the original top end and timing chain until this spring. The piston measured in spec and the chain didnt have kinks in it. It hasn't sat either.

I do have a high speed headshake that I dont have time to mess with and leaky fork seals (which probably caused the headshake).

I have an 06 as well. The motor has been relatively bulletproof, but I've had some trans issues. I think it was the first year for the 5 speed?

yes 05 was 4 speed.

i somtimes have problem from 1st to 2nd gear, but after seeying 2008 kawi tranny break within 20 hours im happy with mine.

guess ill try adjusting the shifter alittle more.

Reliability on the YZF's are second to none as long as you don't neglect them. I have 100 hours on my 2007 and I am hard on bikes. The bike hasn't required a valve adjustment or anything else but a clutch since I've had it. I have taken two 3 month breaks in the last year, but the hour meter doesn't lie. Oil change every ride, and also air filter, that keeps the motor happy.