HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rkwfxd1

Can '09 pass 96 bd at 20" w/o peeshooter?

5 posts in this topic

Can the 08/09 WR450Fs pass the 96DB at 20" sound test with the "peeshooter" removed from the stock exhaust?

I did a lot of searching and I know Yamaha makes a couple of quiet tips that will do this but was wondering if anyone had done the free mods and acutally had their exhause tested for DB without the peeshooter.

Thanks

Can the 08/09 WR450Fs pass the 96DB at 20" sound test with the "peeshooter" removed from the stock exhaust?

I did a lot of searching and I know Yamaha makes a couple of quiet tips that will do this but was wondering if anyone had done the free mods and acutally had their exhause tested for DB without the peeshooter.

Thanks

If you remove just the peashooter... yes, it will pass without a problem, it's probably still below 90db at that point.

You can remove the tailpipe altogether but retain the S/A screen and it will definitely be louder and i think it will fail a standardized test.

I had the GYTR enlarged endcap for a while and it would blow 96db most of the time.

I've had my 08 tested twice with the pea shooter removed. First time it read 96db. Put about 40 miles on the bike and tested it again this Sunday at a different event and it tested 98db. They kind of frowned at me. The bike only has about 100 miles on it so it doesn't need to re-packed. I drilled out the little insert that's in the pea shooter and I'lll put it back in and see how it runs.

The pea shooter is that black metal thing in the stock external baffle. If you were to drill it out you'd be around 88-90 db (mine tested 88 db)

If you were to take the baffle completely out it would be loud. IIRC its about as loud as a stock '07 YZ exhaust. ..which is about 97-99 db.

OK so now it sounds like in order to pass the 96db at 20" test I will have to leave the peeshooter in but drill it out for a bit of performance increase.

What size drill bit?