04 keep blowing bulbs, done all the checks in the manual but cant find a fault!

Hello,

My 04 Wr450 keeps blowing the front and rear bulbs. I have checked the magneto and the regulator / rectifier and get the correct readings from the manual. I get 12v at idle at the front and rear lights but it increases to about 25v when i rev the bike!!!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cure this please? My bike needs the annual test so its road legal but no lights = fail so please help if you can otherwise i will be bikeless !!!!

Thanks, Lennie.

Hello,

My 04 Wr450 keeps blowing the front and rear bulbs. I have checked the magneto and the regulator / rectifier and get the correct readings from the manual. I get 12v at idle at the front and rear lights but it increases to about 25v when i rev the bike!!!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cure this please? My bike needs the annual test so its road legal but no lights = fail so please help if you can otherwise i will be bikeless !!!!

Thanks, Lennie.

Obviously the mag is putting out. It's just not being regulated. Sounds like you need a new rectifier/regulator. Your rectifier/regulator test failed with 25V. Should be 13.5 max when you rev it.

I would think it's your regulator, but I did read somewhere that a stator will sometimes ground out when it picks up speed?

Double check all ground connections. Sometimes it is not obvious one is poor so a good cleaning of all often cures this issue.

I checked agian tonight and still the same problem, i took the bike apart more and found the bracket that holds the regulator / rectifier onto the frame had cracked on the side that also has the earth wire so I will weld the bracket tomorrow.

I the earth wire directly to the frame and just sat the regulator / recifier on the seat. The voltage seems to be alright like this but I am struggling to check the earth on the rear light I am not sure if I am doing it right as i get strange and varied results.

Can anyone tell me a good reliable way to check the rear light earth on a steel frame WR450 please?

Thanks

Lennie.