Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dee Perry

Changing Oil

5 posts in this topic

Just changing the oil on my 01 WR426. I only drained about a cup full from the engine and the rest from the frame. Is this normal? I would have expected more from the engine drain. Last time I changed the oil I did not pay attention to how much oil came from where and I changed the filter and the screen. Just want to make sure I did not mess something up. Thank you in advance for your help.

Dee

Unsure if theres a hard & fast rule ? but dont you drain from the frame first then the sump ? I have an 07 so no oil in the frame

Just changing the oil on my 01 WR426. I only drained about a cup full from the engine and the rest from the frame. Is this normal?
Your bike has a Dry Sump oiling system. The oil is used in the engine, but it isn't kept there:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5221903#post5221903

Unsure if theres a hard & fast rule ? but dont you drain from the frame first then the sump ? I have an 07 so no oil in the frame
Yours is also a dry sump, same as the '06 and earlier. The difference is that the "tank", or feed oil reservoir, is integrated into the engine cases. It's a separate volume, nonetheless.

I drain the feed reservoir first, then the filter, then the sump.