HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cobalt650

XR650L vs Plated WR450F

30 posts in this topic

Well, crap:bonk: After years of waiting, I finally got my new XR650L. New Dunlop /Pirelli tires, re-jetted, new air filter, re-geared, handlebar risers, desmog, runs fantastically. Having a blast. Then I bought a TTR-230 for my wife. she is having a ball, then I went and rode it. No power, but light as a feather, super fun to ride in the dirt. Makes me wonder how much fun a plated WR450F could be!:worthy: I only need the plate to get on the 20,000+ miles of ATV trails in WI, no real plated road driving intent, but holy smokes, I gotta make the change somehow:ride:

If you've got the opportunity do it.

I ride an '07 WR 450f and my buddy has a '99 XR 600R. Don't get me wrong the BWP is a torque monster and is fun to ride (in its own way) but the WR is a human guided land missle by comparison.

If you are just jumpin on the road to connect trails, go with the WR if you can get a plate for it:thumbsup:

If you were comparing a CRF to a WR, then the game would be a little closer. BUT, since your talking an XR-L you will probably be sold on the WR450F once you ride one, especially if the right mods are done.:worthy:

(I've had an XR and a CRF, now I only own the WR...:lol: )

I have both sitting in my garage at the moment. Just picked up the 450 for my Dad recently, but after working it over and tuning it, I can give you a pretty good comparison. This is a 2005 XR650L, and a 2003 WR450f.

The WR is way, way lighter. You notice this instantly, probably when you push it down out of the truck while unloading. WR dry weight is like 240, my L dry weight is somewhere near 320. Big difference. Out here in Nevada, not a lot of tight single track to worry about, mostly brush and rocks, so you don't necessarily need a super agile bike, I suspect it's the opposite there in Wisconsin. On a tight trail, the L will have problems, and you will have to work a lot harder with it than the WR.

Conversely, on the road, the L is far superior. Rides nicer, comfier, etc. The WR will give you a case of monkey butt pretty fast, the L can be ridden a long, long ways before you need a break. Also, I often carry a 2nd rider on my L, this is really not an option on the WR.

The power is different. The L, like all XRs, is a low end grunt machine. Low rpms, tractor right up the hill with no issue. The WR hits all the power at mid range, and when it goes, you better be hanging on. Just expect to do more riding in mid rpms. For out here on the mountain, I tend to prefer the torque and tractor style, but then again, I'm not in any hurry either.

The stance is different. The L is more of a sit back and rumble along anywhere you need to go. The WR is set up for someone to be standing up and hauling ass over anything in your path, more of a forward lean than the L.

The L is an electric start bike, no kick. The WR is both. This WR actually has an edelbrock carb, and fires up really easily. Kind of a wash really, but something to consider.

The L is air cooled, the WR is water cooled. From experience and what I've read, I would consider the WR to be more maintenance and more possibility for breakdown, but let's be serious here, both of these engines are pretty bulletproof. Less maintenance overall on the L. You can run pump gas in the L, the WR requires high octane since the compression is so much higher.

I had no issues plating my L, of course. I suspect I would with the WR here, even with a dual sport kit.

To be honest, either one is a pretty solid choice. If you really aren't going to do much road riding, and your offroad consists of tight quarters, go for the WR. If your riding is more open, longer distance and you expect to do some commuting and the like, favor the L.

1 person likes this

The XRL is an overweight, underpowered, flexy-framed Pig, period.

1988 technology with 1993 forks.

It is for sight seeing and getting Milk.

The WR is the NEW XR.

The WR is the NEW XR.

thats a bit cruel, very true but put in a harsh way :worthy:

Since you wrote "I only need the plate to get on the 20,000+ miles of ATV trails in WI, no real plated road driving intent" I would definitely plate the WR. Like others have noted, if you were doing more extended road than anything the Honda would be a fantastic option. For you, go blue!

I had a plated mod'ed XR650R. That's like having one bad a$$ XR650L without the e-start.

My WR is waaaaay better! At least for the type of riding I like to do. Just enough street to conect the dots. MY XR wasn't even that much faster. My WR's speedo tells me it will do about 90MPH give or take a little. My BRP would do just over 100MPH. Either way that amount of top speed (for both bikes) is usless for me off road. For me it's a matter of how quik the bike is, then how fast it will go. The WR will smoke the XR off the line.

My XR didn't like the jumps that much. My WR loves the jumps as long as they are not to big. I am faster on the WR (I din't say I'm fast, just faster on the WR over the XR). The WR makes me feel like I'm riding an MX bike. The XR made me feel, well, like I was riding a fast XR.

The XRL would be a lot nicer for extended highway type road miles with a little fire road and light trail use. The WR is a blast on stop sigh to stop sigh ripping and twice as fun offroad.

I have on 08 Wr with a plate, stock less the free mods and my buddy has an 08 xr650L with FMF power bomb and Q4, flat slide carb thats been tuned on a dyno and lower gearing and my WR will kill his XR easily...except perhaps top speed, other than that the BRP is toast! MUCH better on a road trip though, but then I would just take the FJR!

Plated 09 WR with the correct mods....great machine...power is really great,a blast to ride. Had Xr in the past as well as a klr 650 not even in the same league at all..

Key words. The main reason I went with the WR over a CRF. Yamaha now makes a more XR-like bike than Honda.

Couldnt agree more.

Check out some of my old threads & posts for XR vs WR, I know I had a XR650r but same road different street !!! Like mentioned earlier WR vs CRF is a closer match.

WR VS CRF would probably boil down to which color you liked better...blue or red

Minus the fact that blue = no valve issues and red = well :worthy:

Just ran into an older guy on a 650L while off road today. Boy was he fast on his BRP -L! I have a lot more respect for them after today! But, I can't stop wondering how fast that old guy woud have been if he were riding a WR!!!

Just ran into an older guy on a 650L while off road today. Boy was he fast on his BRP -L! I have a lot more respect for them after today! But, I can't stop wondering how fast that old guy woud have been if he were riding a WR!!!

Its true ... saw a BRP_L vs CRF450 on youtube on an MX track ... the CRF was outdone! :worthy:

Its down to the rider... and what you perfer. I love the WR for its versatility, I can hit the whoops hard, play in the dunes or slap on some motard wheels and go superbike hunting.

The only thing that has me is real dualsporting. Im trying to arrange 2 demo's from yamaha so i can ride from Cape town to Mozambique - Swaziland and back through Lesotho to prove how reliable this bike is.

If you have a plated WR450F you are a lucky bugger!

The WR is the NEW XR.

To the point and very true. I have owned 2 XR650L's, loved the simplicity even though they come mechanically de-tuned. Higher compression piston, hot cam and flat slide carb are a must for these pigs.

Had to keep an XR400 around for trail riding since the L was just too heavy for Colorado single trak. With the plated WR, I can do it all. Love the e-start, it does well on single trak. I can install my DS rear rack in 5 minuites for overnight rides. The only negative is the seat, but GUTS fixed that with tall soft foam and cover.:worthy:

Awesome replies fellas, greatly appreciated. NMNORGE-good reslults with the GUTS seat? Did the tall seat give you extra foam to increase the height, or do they just build up the base an inch or so?