01' 426f Questions

Hello,

New to the forums and looking for some advice. I've had my 426f since brand new and only really rode it 1 winter season down in Socal and not very hard at that. Went through divorce, blah, blah, blah and i'm finally at a point that I want to get it going again. I'll admit it's been a bit neglected in the sense that it still has factory coolant and I really did nothing to it for storage other than drain the tank. I will say though, it has been garaged for all these years

and the oil is surprisingly clean.

Prior to it being garaged the only thing that i know was happening was it was backfiring and not wanting to idle, I figured maybe timing or carb adjustment.

So my questions for you are, what would you folks recommend that I start with. Just try getting it running, change the oil etc? Anything you might do prior to trying to start it? Also I have a question about the timing. Do 4 stroke dirt bikes require a different type of timing light than say an automotive one?

Thanks in advance,

-MGB

Bummer to hear about the divorce, those are never fun. But at least you still have your moto, you can ride them all you want and never nag you! :worthy:

I would start by removing the carb and giving it a good cleaning with some B-12 Chem tool carb cleaner or something equivalent. Remove the jets and clean all the orifice. Also, check the jetting forum for your bike and make sure that you have the appropriate jets for your altitude.

In my 426 ran the following while I lived in WA.

45 pilot

165 main

stock needle (but don't remember it's location)

zip-ty quick adjust air screw

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694915

The timing is set from the factory and is not adjustable. The popping you are hearing is due to lean jetting.

If all the above don't work and your bike is still popping check your valves.

Good Luck

Change the oil, pull the carb and clean it, may as well do a check on your valves....it's not difficult to check them. Make sure you do a thorough job on the carb cleaning and the bike should fire right up and run fine.

Change the oil, pull the carb and clean it, may as well do a check on your valves....it's not difficult to check them. Make sure you do a thorough job on the carb cleaning and the bike should fire right up and run fine.

I 2nd everything mentioned and maybe check the oil filter

As others have suggested, but be careful what you use to cleant he carb...don't want to mess up any o-rings and such. In addition to changing the oil and cleaning the carb, I would suggest changing the coolant, lubing the chain and cleaning/inspecting and re-oiling the air filter. Once you're sure it runs well, I would also grease the steering head bearings and swing arm/shock linkage bearings.

I appreciate the input and I will start by pulling the carb cleaning it up and just do the basic maintenance. A couple of you mentioned a quality carb cleaner. I was in the automotive business a number of years ago, we just bought carb cleaner from places like NAPA or Big-A, is there something i should look for on the can etc?