Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moab450

No Metal shavings after 1st oil change

7 posts in this topic

I picked up my WR450 last month and after I broke it in and put about 3-4 hours on it I changed my oil and the filter and checked the filter coming out of the top tube and I had very little metal shavings in the oil and on the filters :). I thought this was odd since everyone told me after the first oil change it would look like a bomb went off in my bike. So I put a new filter in and new oil and put about 10 hours on it and then changed it again and still no metal shavings. There was some paint flecks but that was about it.

Has anyone else had the same experience or are should I be expecting the metal to come some time in the near future?

First oil filter inspection OK, Second oil filter inspection and change OK, after about 10 miles of riding. Also changes oil, no metal in drain pan that I could see.

I only had some small 1/8th inch long slivers on my magnetic drain plug the first 2 oil changes. first oil change was at 20 miles and second was at 50 miles. Ok after third change at 100 miles. Very small particles on the tip like sludge is all I get now.

This surprised me also! :) On my 426 I had a lot of slivers in the filter, but on the 450 nothing. I replaced the filter anyway, but kept it and may reuse it. I have not checked the screen in the tube yet, but on the 426 there was never anything there for the year I had it.

Man, I wish mine was like that. I have had my bike for 3 years now. There is STILL a TON of metal in the filter every time I change the oil. It still runs ok though. :)

Mine is the same

on the first oil chnge I had one small shaving and nothing in the screen filter and on the second change no shavings at all