Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Strattos

Take plastics off before apply decal?

14 posts in this topic

I've just bought some new graphics for my radiator shrouds. Is it better/easier to put the graphics on with the shrouds on or off the bike?

If I put the graphics on with the plastic off the bike will they be twisted or move when the plastic flexes as the shrouds are bolted on?

I did mine with them on the bike' I think it helped me! when I wanted to pull a little back and re-apply and then rub any air bubbles out. I could apply much more pressure to rub them out.

I like them off but only if they don't have to match the seat cover. I get them nice and wet then work them in good with a hair dryer. It's easyer for me to do when they are on my lap.

If you are matching them to a design on a seat cover I think it's best to keep them on the bike to ensure they align right. On that note, I also think it's best to put the seat cover on first and then match the shroud graphics to the seat cover. It's harder to match the seat cover to the graphics vs the other way around.

It's easyer for me to do when they are on my lap.
I agree. I like to sit at my kitchen table with everything I need and work like a gentlemen. I'd probably bring the tank in, too. It's just preference, though. Each has its advantages.

I find it easier to take them off as well. Plus my wife does not really appreciate it when she finds her blow dryer in the shop!

Another vote for off the bike. Much easier than working around the handlebars etc.

I put them on, while mounted to the bike, for me it is easier to press and mold while mounted. good luck use lots of "sticker on" or other spray

I've put on several sets over the years and to me it makes more sense to have them on the bike so that they are stationary.

Just my .02

Got them on using the off-the-bike method. Worked out okay. As with most things bike-related, once you have a crack it you realise it's not that hard. First ones I'd ever applied and was sure I was going to screw them up, though there are a couple of things I would do better next time.

Thanks for advice.

"though there are a couple of things I would do better next time."

By the second or third time you will be an expert. Thats how it worked out for me. Perfect fit and never a bubble left behind!

Just putting the bike back together now (had shocks and fork re-valved as well). I wish putting that f^%$ing airboot back onto the carby got easier each time I did it. They're magic bikes, but jeez they're still pricks to work on in some areas.

Just putting the bike back together now (had shocks and fork re-valved as well). I wish putting that f^%$ing airboot back onto the carby got easier each time I did it. They're magic bikes, but jeez they're still pricks to work on in some areas.

bloody oath maaaate i second that, :worthy: