HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J_Bones_495

06 yz450 issues!

13 posts in this topic

First timer here. I am looking for some insight about my bike. I was at the track today and had some issues. My bike wants to not stay running when in gear unless i am actually riding it. it also kicked me back a few time when trying to kick it over. I did notice after riding a creamy type of fluid that seamed to be oil based coming from the engine breather tube and my radiator fluid has gotten low. I do not see any leaks from the radiators. it also back fired on me when i would try to start iot in gear. Does anyone have any clue as to these issues? Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

There are two types of leaks, internal and external. Drain the oil, check for water in with the oil. Water is heavier than oil so should drain first. If water is present you will have a gasket failure or a crack somewhere.

Don't give it any gas when you are starting it. If it does not want to stay running while in gear you might have a worn out or non-adjusted clutch.

i don't give it gas until it is running. What do you think about the cream colored, oily fluid coming from the engine breather tube?

Thanks. i will try to look at the oil next change.

Don't keep riding it like that! Drain the oil and see if it's water contaminated...if so you have an internal water leak...

It should be oily, it is oil from the engine. How cream colored is it? Usually cream colored means there is water in the oil. Maybe post some pics of what it looks like.

I have, on occasion, had some creamy colored fluid come from the breather tube. I credit it to a little bit of oil, mixed with some existing condensation.

So it would not stay running at low RPM's? How did it run while gassing it?

it runs good when i am on the gas. i am going to replace the clutch, which should fix the stalling while in gear. But the water in the oil, i am guessing is a head gasket leak? Thanks for all the replys and if anybody has any other suggestions i am greatful to hear.

Have You ever stalled the bike out or started it in a puddle deep enough to reach your lower frame rails? And have you changed the oil yet? Before I rerouted my breather I stalled in a puddle and ingested some water, I didnt realize it until my bike stopped running at idle and I checked the oil only to find that it was indeed milky. After changing the oil 5 times to get all the moisture out It ran well at idle again.

On a side note Maxima maximum 4 extra turns the consistency of almost toothpaste when mixed with water, it took a whole hour to get the stuff to drain from the motor the first time and I didnt even get it all out.

I just bought the bike about a month ago and have changed the oil twice (i do not know if the previous owner had any issues with water or not),however the oil did not look milky either time. But, for some reason i have lost some of the coolant (about a cup or so) and have ridden it 4 times and it just started acting up this last trip to the track. I do think the clutch is bad and am hopeful that it will help with the ideling in gear problem. but unsure about the coolant and breather tube issue.

I just bought the bike about a month ago and have changed the oil twice (i do not know if the previous owner had any issues with water or not),however the oil did not look milky either time. But, for some reason i have lost some of the coolant (about a cup or so) and have ridden it 4 times and it just started acting up this last trip to the track. I do think the clutch is bad and am hopeful that it will help with the ideling in gear problem. but unsure about the coolant and breather tube issue.

come on man dont be lazy just drain your oil and see if water comes out. you dont want to mess the bike..

also dont replace the clutch untill you take it apart to see if thats even the problem. taking the clutch apart takes 10 min if that

Everyones gonna agree changing the oil is the first step. What kinda riding were you doing prior to your day at the track. You can lose coolant if you're dogging it through the woods. And what ever is happening to your clutch is probably due to oil issues. You don't even really have to drain the oil out, just look at the fill cap, if thats milky its time to change the oil a few times. Also if your clutch is dragging its more then likely is a basket problem then the actual clutch.