Oil filter drain bolt stripped

does the oil drainhole dead end, or does it lead some where, just want to know if metal shavings from drilling and taping can get into engine.

is it ok to do this fix with case still on engine?

thanks

BTW something that I do at each filter change is run a slim bar magnet up into the bottom bolt hole and capture any shavings and it works great. John deere sells these magnets for the suction screens on the hydro tractors.

does the oil drainhole dead end, or does it lead some where...?
The hole goes straight in to the primary case. If doing the repair with the case in place, use grease on the drill and tap to control the chips. There is a risk in doing it that way, but it's small.

OTOH, this is just another reason why you should prevent this from happening in the first place:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634724

ok thanks, have time sert ordered, when it arrives i will be doing this, hole isnt stripped yet, but its getting close.

Helicoil kit from NAPA: $85 bucks! Took it to the dealer, kid at the front desk told me at least $70 (1hr labor) plus parts. They use time-sert, hope they do a good job. These prices are ridiculous.

ok thanks, have time sert ordered, when it arrives i will be doing this, hole isnt stripped yet, but its getting close.

If the hole isn't stripped yet, why don't you just retap it and then do the bearing mod to prevent it from getting worse?

Helicoil kit from NAPA: $85 bucks! Took it to the dealer, kid at the front desk told me at least $70 (1hr labor) plus parts. They use time-sert, hope they do a good job. These prices are ridiculous.

Crazy prices...Just be sure they know that hole runs back to the case...I'll guarantee you the service shop isn't going to be very careful about shavings getting back there...

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is the way to go...

DSC04476small.jpg

Completed the Time-Sert fix yesterday, rode today....no problems. And as an added bonus, the Time-Sert insert also blocked the drain hole. So I should have a permanent fix.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

If the hole isn't stripped yet, why don't you just retap it and then do the bearing mod to prevent it from getting worse?

well???? too late already have time-sert.

Mine seems to be stripped as well, It's spins when I use a ratchet, and I don't want to keep trying.

I don't really want to mess with a time sert, being that I've never done it before. Can it stay that way if it doesn't leak oil?