Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
red_eye_righley

Anyone interested in a YZ200?

79 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

As we all know, for woods/trail/enduro riding.... a 200 is a great motor to have. I am sure most have seen the YZ125 frame with the 200 KTM engine in it - sweet hey! Also, there is a YZ125 with a WR200 engine in it. And there are quite a few hybrids with a kx125 frmae and KDX engine....

I want to change things slightly, put a KDX200 engine into a YZ125....I think it will probably be the ultimate weapon with a little motor work.

Now, the tough part is getting the motor in there....

I would like to find out of anyone is interested in this and, especially if anyone has a YZ125 (hopefully a lat model one) with the engine out and could take some measurements.....

Any comments would be helpful....

PS: I posted soething similar in the Kawa 2 stroke forum, but thought that the Yam guys would also be interested....

1 person likes this

i actually have a 2001 yz 125 frame and everything else that i am thinking about strapping a ktm 200 engine in her. it should be a fun project!

Nice, will be a cool project! Is the YZ engine still in that there frame? you should keep us posted on your build.... Have you already got a KTM engine?

Could I ask you to measure the inside dimension of the swingarm for me?

might be easier to put the KDX engine in a Honda 125 chassis....they are more abundant and every bit as good if not better

might be easier to put the KDX engine in a Honda 125 chassis....they are more abundant and every bit as good if not better

So, a new cr125 vs the new yz125 and you say the frame for a Honday is good/better? Cant say I have ever heard that but I am listening. I thought the YZ125 suspension is miles ahead of any other small bore 2 stroke available - please tell me I am wrong.....

Make friends with a pipe manufacturer. My father built a kx200 back in 97. It was his favorite bike ever. He had a full pro circuit motor from, I think, Terry Cunninghams kdx. A built kdx will really rip.

What I'm saying is that a 2005 and up aluminum framed YZ125 chassis may be harder to find and will command a much higher price while a CR125 chassis (2000 -2003) can be found much more easily and at a much lower price. ALL of them would be awesome to use but the Honda would be a lot cheaper. Earlier YZ's would work but I think I would try to stay with an aluminum frame if possible.

A friend of my built an 01 CR125 with a KDX 200 motor.

I would suspect that this would be a great play bike. Am I right ?

I would suspect that this would be a great play bike. Am I right ?

I know some people like 200cc bikes, but its not enough jam for my toast. I dont get the rush like I do on a 250.

I would try to stay with an aluminum frame if possible.

It depends on if you can do aluminum welding or not. I had a couple cr/xr conversions and much easier to work with steel than aluminum.

Why not just get a KTM 200??

Is there somethng wrong with it? (I was thinking of getting one)

It depends on if you can do aluminum welding or not. I had a couple cr/xr conversions and much easier to work with steel than aluminum.

Very true, I'm in that same boat. I could handle the steel frame but would have to have help for an alum frame. Fortunately for me, that wouldn't be a problem. I really did like the way my 2000 CR125 handled. I also had 1998, 1999, and 2004 YZ125's. I just liked the Honda better.

PS: I have a 2005 yz250 (265) that is awesome. Today I brought home a 2007 CRF450X. We'll see how I like that one...!!

What I'm saying is that a 2005 and up aluminum framed YZ125 chassis may be harder to find and will command a much higher price while a CR125 chassis (2000 -2003) can be found much more easily and at a much lower price. ALL of them would be awesome to use but the Honda would be a lot cheaper. Earlier YZ's would work but I think I would try to stay with an aluminum frame if possible.

Hi, ok - thanks! I will look into this, but from what I have heard the YZ125 makes an incredible trail bike. Not that money is not an issue, but I figure that finding a Ali framed YZ125 and selling the engine off, putting a new engine in etc etc might even cost less than a new KTM200. Doing the sums of the price of the bit required points in that direction. I agree with you, I am going to try and keep the ali frame. Welding is an issue but can be arranged - right now I just want to try and work this all out.

The next question I have, because I have found a cheap '05 model yz125 is what to look out for in terms of the models? Have there been any significant improvements between '05 and '09? I want to build this bike and know that it is pretty current in terms of suspension and frame technology. Thanks for all the interest guys. It seems there are quite a few guys that have done hybrids - very interesting.

I've wanted to put a gas gas 321 trials motor in a yz 125 frame.

Maybe gearing would be an issue there - not sure. But sounds awesome. Would make for an awesome technical riding bike (even with the trials gearing), would be fun for sure!

Why not just get a KTM 200??

Is there somethng wrong with it? (I was thinking of getting one)

Its a great bike! But the suspension on a YZ25, revalved for trails of course, is apparently incredible. Plus the bike will end up quite a bit lighter. Some say the KDX motor (spruced up a bit too) is a far friendlier trail riding motor than the KTM200, but I have a KTM200 motor and I feel it is great for the task.

I think it would be cool, but for the work and money involved it might be easier to start with a yz 250 and work at tuning the motor to be more 200 like.

1 person likes this

If you want hybrid ideas, check out the 2 stroke Kawasaki forum here, or DirtRider.net's KDX forum, and search hybrid. You'll get a ton of builds.

This is a pretty good thread following one build. A 1993 KDX engine in a 2001 CR125.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=162382&highlight=cr125

That's my riding buddy, the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. He's selling the bike for around 3k CAD.

He did a real nice job welding it.