HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jock Bradley

How Much Of A Problem?

7 posts in this topic

I have a small hairline crack on the outside of my WR426's crankcase. It's just behind the rear brake pedal and is 1 3/8" long. There is minimal oil leakage. Wondering if a little bit of JB Weld will suffice or do I need to replace the crankcase cover?

Many thanks.

Jb weld works great, try the new fast drying type if you need a quick fix.

But if it was me I'd remove the cover, clean it up real well, apply the jb weld, let it cure sand it smooth give it coat of paint. If you take your time and do a good job no one will ever know.

Or keep your eye's open on ebay, you might find a good deal on a used one.:thumbsup:

What is the cause of the crack? Impact, or too much kick starting?

I bought the bike used last week. It had a dent in the case where the crack is now. I'm not sure if the crack was there when I bought it as I could have easily overlooked it. I had a learning curve starting the bike...

Could this have created the crack? If it did, are there other issues that may have developed?

I bought the bike used last week. It had a dent in the case where the crack is now. I'm not sure if the crack was there when I bought it as I could have easily overlooked it. I had a learning curve starting the bike...

Could this have created the crack? If it did, are there other issues that may have developed?

If there is a dent, then impact is surely most likely the cause.

I would NOT worry about internal damage: just patch it with JB weld as described, or remove it and have it welded . Should be just fine.

JB WELD, use the original kind that u have to mix, dont use the stuff that is like a putty, its not as good. i used jb weld on my cracked case and it held up till i sold and i replaced the case. i could have keep it on longer, but i just bought a new case.