Bridgestone M404 Chipping???

So I finally made the switch from a 250f to a 450 and i love it, but the knobbies on my Bridgestone M404 rear tire are chipping like crazy. I'm used to riding 250f's and I never had this problem. Do most 450s chip the knobbies off tires, or do the Bridgestone M404s just suck? They get awesome traction they just arent holding up very well. Anyone else have the same experience?

What tire pressure are you running? A friend and I spoke to the Bridgestone rep last year in Vegas at the super cross final and he said the tires will chunk if the pressure is too high. He recommended no higher than 13 psi (we were running them a little higher to avoid pinch flats offroad). If the pressure is too high, the carcass doesn't flex enough and the knobs tear.

I haven't had a problem with my 404's chunking after I lowered the pressure unless I get into the gnarly rocks and then it doesn't matter what tire I run, they all chunk.

yea pressures probably also have a lot to do with it also. i run 12psi front and rear as a general rule of thumb. if im out riding and it starts to get wet i just let a lil squirt out, if its really hard 12 seems about right for me anyway

Ditto on the 12 psi. It seems to give the best all around grip for me. I think chunking the tires is just the nature of the beast for a 450. I'm running a Dunlop 756 that doesn't look that bad, until you notice entire knobs are missing! I'm still deciding what tires to try next.

i heard a rumor that Bridgestone is pulling out of moto tires.

i use the 404 in the rear, i get chips when i ride hardpack but it's not a hardpack tire. works great in sand and loamy tracks.

are you ripping knobs off the side or the center? be stoked if you are taking them off the side, means you are cranking some turns.

center means you are turning slow and dumping the throttle out of turns and spinning the wheel a ton in the flats. come out of the turn with more speed so you have less wheel spin.

^+1 to that.

I used to use the Dunlop 756 for everything because I loved the grip but it wore out in just 2-3 races. I now have the 403/404 and love the combo! Hooks almost nearly as good but last wayyyy longer! I just got some knobby chunks taken out of it recently riding through rock, so serves me right haha.

i heard a rumor that Bridgestone is pulling out of moto tires.

QUOTE]

i love the 404.. i switched from 756rrs and im digging the life and grip i get out of the 403/404 combo.. ive ran this setup for the last year.. and havnt had a set chunk yet..

X2. Never had a problem and feel they work and wear great.