HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryan2214

99 YZ400f Clutch Question

4 posts in this topic

Is there any way to adjust the clutch internally? I put a brand new cable on and I can't get the clutch adjusted right, it engages way too soon. By the way I had the clutch plates replaced not to long ago. One more question: what are the best things to make the bike lighter? As you all know these things are heavy beasts, but there has to be a few things I can do to make it lighter.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

There's no internal adjustment. Do you have excessive free travel at the lever? (more than 5mm?)

Look for a second adjuster, either at the engine end, or near the lever end, under a rubber sleeve.

I will have to measure, but the problem is the clutch engages way to soon and when looking at the lever that comes out of the engine, I am barely using any of the clutch (from what I can tell when engaging the clutch). It's almost like the lever on the engine needs to go back farther so when I pull the clutch lever it will pull if forward farther. If that makes any sense.

Check the adjustment at the location where the cable meets the clutch-pushrod lever. Where it bolts to the hanger, try to take most of the cable slack out there before adjusting at the lever.