Electric start won't work - clicking??

Washed bike and now it won't start. Battery is fully charged. I pulled and cleaned the starter relay switch. Now the bike will kick over but the electric start still won't work. I just click, click, clicks, like a dying or dead battery but battery is fully charged. What the next thing I need to check? Is the starter relay bad? I tried to check it per the manual and if I knew what I was doing then it pasted the test. Help. I do not want to take it to the shop. It is minimum $300 every time it goes to the shop. Thanks.

Kurt

Try taping on the starter with a hammer. The brushes in side will stick some times and that will break them loose. Worth a try.If its clicking then it sounds like the starter relay switch is working.

Check if you have any voltage at the starter motor. If yes, then your problem is the starter motor. Also check the ground connection at the starter while youre down there.

If not, then the problem is either the relay or the wiring. A clicking sound indicates that the relay is working though.

Even though the battery is "fully charged", have you load tested it? It might register 12v but if it falls on its face under any sort of load (starter engagement) it's toast.

I had similar problem on my '07, there is two relays, the smaller one sends signal to the proper starter relay, when the starter button was pressed the smaller relay was clicking, my first thought was flat battery, tried jump starting from my car battery with the same results, I've checked the relays as per manual and it turned out the starter relay was gone, having nothing to loose and being very curious I opened the relay and actually managed to fix it the same day , it was just a broken coil wire that I was able to reconnect fairlly easily, hope this helps

Even though the battery is "fully charged", have you load tested it? It might register 12v but if it falls on its face under any sort of load (starter engagement) it's toast.

what he said is 100% what you need to do

put your battery on another bike and see if it will start that bike. if it doesn't start than the battery might be bad. mine did that this past week so i put it on an 06wr and it did not start it.

I am a dumba$$. After replacing the starter relay and hammering on the starter itself. I finally took it to a local shop. He called me back in about 30 minutes and said it was fixed. It was the battery. The battery only had 10.5 amps available for cranking and the bike needs the full 12 amps to crank. The battery was only 5 months old so I just knew it could not be the battery but I was wrong. The nice thing is this is a small one man shop and he only charged me $10 labor plus $65 for a new battery. I feel pretty stupid. At least, the bike is running again.

Well at least it didn't cost you an arm and a leg, especially since your question was answered for you in post #4.

Is that $65 for one of those Yuasa batteries?

Well at least it didn't cost you an arm and a leg, especially since your question was answered for you in post #4.

Is that $65 for one of those Yuasa batteries?

$65 is about the going rate for a new Yuasa.

Don't feel bad Kwar, I had the same problem too before somebody told me to switch the battery.

You should get a voltage reader, they are very useful. I had to switch another battery last week.

It read 13.72 and when I push the e-start button it would read 8.40 or something. Basically I needed a new battery.

......... bahhh :worthy:

I The battery only had 10.5 amps available for cranking and the bike needs the full 12 amps to crank.
You should get a voltage reader, they are very useful. I had to switch another battery last week.

It read 13.72 and when I push the e-start button it would read 8.40 or something. Basically I needed a new battery.

......... bahhh :thumbsup:

vltg1chart.gif