HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bujanda

yzf 426 as a street legal motard

4 posts in this topic

There is a guy who is selling me a 01 yzf426 for 800, it comes with Marchesini wheels and is converted. It was used as a track bike only. The motor needs new cams and head work needed.

I guess my main question is once I get the bike running what am I looking at for maintenance.

I plan on running it from my town to the city which is 45 mile round trip. I have a cbr I run everyday and want something different.

I have heard things like every other day I will have to change the oil and that in 20 hours I will have to rebuild the top end. How accurate is this?

Should I stay away from this completely?

Some say that tons of people run this type of bike with no problems. I really need some solid advice!

thanks ahead of time!

those statements are not accurate at all. Maintenence WILL be higher than for a cbr, which was designed as a street bike. the yz is a bke designed for racing - period. that said, the yz is probably the best of the big 4 to convert to street use, due to the reliability of the 5 valve heads. you'll probably have to do half, if that, of the valve adjustments you would for the other jap bikes. change your oil once a month, and check your valves at the same time.