What oil do you use?

I raced my R6 for years on the Rotella synthetic... I loved being able to get it whenever i wanted and its quality and cheap!

I'm new to this and just bought an 08 yz450f ... so heres my question...

those of you using rotella do you use the 5w40 synthetic or the 15w40 non synthetic?

i dont use the synthectic just the reg 15 40 for me :crazy:

No, and yes.

If we were talking only about lubing an engine, that would be an entirely different thing. But we have transmission in the mix. Read the link I posted. Some of the most popular auto/commercial oils used by members of this site will barely make it two hours without falling out of grade (wherein your 40wt becomes a 30, or less). What matters is whether the oil was blended to be an engine oil AND a gear lube.

I know you said Rotella looses its grade after 2 hours, but if you change it after every ride wouldnt it be better than running Amsoil for 10 hours? It seems to me like the oil would still be in grade and there would be less contaminents in the oil after 2 hours vs. 10 hours.

I know you said Rotella looses its grade after 2 hours, but if you change it after every ride wouldnt it be better than running Amsoil for 10 hours? It seems to me like the oil would still be in grade and there would be less contaminents in the oil after 2 hours vs. 10 hours.

Ten hours was a one time test that I ran, and was only done as an experiment. The run time was what resulted from a 4 day trip to the desert over a New Year's holiday one time, and for me, it answered the question, "do I need to change my oil while I'm out here?" I already had run oil samples from shorter intervals, and based on those, I was fairly confident in the oil's ability to stretch that far. Ten hours, or 4 days, either way, is beyond my normal interval of 3 ride days. Ordinarily, that's something like 5~8 hours. Sometimes less. Since my desert race weekends are normally 2 day affairs, I'll change oil with only two days on the oil if I'm headed to one of those.

As for contamination, it depends on what you mean by that. Wear metals and other solid contaminants were at acceptable levels in the sample (iron was a little high, but not considering the presence of the transmission). Total Base Number was still excellent, so acidity from combustion contaminants and fuel residues was not an issue either. Some oils deal with that better than others. So in all, there was nothing really wrong with the oil at that point, and the next 4 day trip I take, I'm not going to worry about it.

Changing daily, you're using 3 times as much oil as I am. Something you may want to consider when each quart comes with a "Carbon Tax" attached.

Ten hours was a one time test that I ran, and was only done as an experiment. The run time was what resulted from a 4 day trip to the desert over a New Year's holiday one time, and for me, it answered the question, "do I need to change my oil while I'm out here?" I already had run oil samples from shorter intervals, and based on those, I was fairly confident in the oil's ability to stretch that far. Ten hours, or 4 days, either way, is beyond my normal interval of 3 ride days. Ordinarily, that's something like 5~8 hours. Sometimes less. Since my desert race weekends are normally 2 day affairs, I'll change oil with only two days on the oil if I'm headed to one of those.

As for contamination, it depends on what you mean by that. Wear metals and other solid contaminants were at acceptable levels in the sample (iron was a little high, but not considering the presence of the transmission). Total Base Number was still excellent, so acidity from combustion contaminants and fuel residues was not an issue either. Some oils deal with that better than others. So in all, there was nothing really wrong with the oil at that point, and the next 4 day trip I take, I'm not going to worry about it.

Changing daily, you're using 3 times as much oil as I am. Something you may want to consider when each quart comes with a "Carbon Tax" attached.

I see what your saying. Do you think the Rotella is as good as the Amsoil up to the 2 hour point? Just curious because I have to gallons of Amsoil but want to use all my Rotella up first and I do change oil every ride with the Rotella.

I see what your saying. Do you think the Rotella is as good as the Amsoil up to the 2 hour point? Just curious because I have to gallons of Amsoil but want to use all my Rotella up first and I do change oil every ride with the Rotella.

Finish up your Rotella, it's still good oil...IMO changing it every 2 hours ride time is overkill unless using really crappy oil...

And if you do that with Amsoil your oil costs for the season will be outrageous...

Finish up your Rotella, it's still good oil...IMO changing it every 2 hours ride time is overkill unless using really crappy oil...

And if you do that with Amsoil your oil costs for the season will be outrageous...

I wont do that with Amsoil I'll change it every three rides lke Grey recomends. The reason I change the Rotella every ride is because he said it loses its grade after 2 hours.

i'm using lucas semi synthetic motorcycle oil 10w-40 bought at a automotoive shop, after my discount it was almost as cheap as rotella.

i'm using lucas semi synthetic motorcycle oil 10w-40 bought at a automotoive shop, after my discount it was almost as cheap as rotella.

I'm tempted to switch to Lucas due to their support of televised MX.

works perfecttt in my bran new rmz450... and almost as cheap as rotella how can you go wrong?

how can you go wrong?

I would change it frequently. The Lucas oil 10W40 product tested below grade prior to use (in the SAE 30 range) in this test:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx

I personally use Rotella and change it every 4 hours on my hour meter, Unfortunately it wasn't included in this test. I'm thinking about having a sample tested next oil change, if I do I can post it here.

I would change it frequently. The Lucas oil 10W40 product tested below grade prior to use (in the SAE 30 range) in this test:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx

I personally use Rotella and change it every 4 hours on my hour meter, Unfortunately it wasn't included in this test. I'm thinking about having a sample tested next oil change, if I do I can post it here.

The Amsoil White Paper has been updated at least twice since the first copy I saw. I notice with some satisfaction that the number of oils faring well in the D-6278 test is increasing.

Judging by samples of Rotella, it behaves a lot like Lucas in this regard. Lucas itself performed rather poorly overall, regardless of what TV shows they sponsor, or who endorses them.

Be sure to follow the instructions with regard to taking oil samples so that you don't contaminate the sample with something that really isn't in it. Especially avoid cold starting the engine before sampling without running the engine for a good half hour or so afterward, or the viscosity will read lower than it is due to fuel in the oil.

Be sure to follow the instructions with regard to taking oil samples so that you don't contaminate the sample with something that really isn't in it. Especially avoid cold starting the engine before sampling without running the engine for a good half hour or so afterward, or the viscosity will read lower than it is due to fuel in the oil.

Would it be best to collect the sample just after a ride and draw it up from the dipstick tube while there's still oil in the frame? I was thinking I could probably get some tubing and a syringe and suck out 4 oz of oil from the frame to avoid any sludge or contaminants from when I drain the oil from the bottom.

Would it be best to collect the sample just after a ride and draw it up from the dipstick tube while there's still oil in the frame? I was thinking I could probably get some tubing and a syringe and suck out 4 oz of oil from the frame to avoid any sludge or contaminants from when I drain the oil from the bottom.
That is the preferred method. It avoids stuff from around the drain plug getting into the sample.

ok then.... should i not use lucas? my dad runs rotella in his rmz450 think i should do the same? i am gonna change it every 3-4 hours.

ok then.... should i not use lucas? my dad runs rotella in his rmz450 think i should do the same? i am gonna change it every 3-4 hours.
Personally, I wouldn't use Lucas. I also wouldn't use Rotella, though many do. 3~4 hours is too long on Rotella, though.