HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dube2

Why does the bolt strip all the time???? UHG!

4 posts in this topic

WHY, WHY, WHY does this happen? The oil filter cover bolt. My 05 did it, my buddies 06 did it and now my 08 is doing it. Same bolt #3 on the bottom of the cover. It's the one with the larger head. On the 05 i removed the case cove and retaped the threads and hadn't had the problem come back since. The 06 and 08 and now my new problem. Should I just get a BOTTOMING TAP and leave the cover on? or should I remove the covers and do that way? Sitting at work on my dest and going off of memory, I'm not sure if the threads go all the way through to the tranny? This is what I get for helping a buddy out. I offered to service his bike for him. Hey great way to get me off the couch and in the garage. Nothing like working on the bikes and watching NITRO CIRCUS and FUEL TV while wrenching on the bikes. Travis Pestrana is so cool! What I would do to have his life right now:worthy:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634724&highlight=oil+filter+bolt+threads

Try this post, Grey does a good job expalining the why and the what.

I did mine a little different since I had different tools on hand. I plugged the hole with JB weld and I did a thread repair with a Helicoil.

I also bought new bolts to go with the new threads. do not use a an old bolt with a bad thread on the nice new repair. I did all three oil filter bolt thread repairs with Helicoils and yes i had to take the side cover off. I did a through inspection while I was in there.

Once you get all Stainless Steel threads (helicoils) and new bolts in the case you can change you oil with Impunity:banana:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634724&highlight=oil+filter+bolt+threads

Try this post, Grey does a good job expalining the why and the what.

I did mine a little different since I had different tools on hand. I plugged the hole with JB weld and I did a thread repair with a Helicoil.

I also bought new bolts to go with the new threads. do not use a an old bolt with a bad thread on the nice new repair. I did all three oil filter bolt thread repairs with Helicoils and yes i had to take the side cover off. I did a through inspection while I was in there.

Once you get all Stainless Steel threads (helicoils) and new bolts in the case you can change you oil with Impunity:banana:

Awesome! thanks for the link "G" Now I have some options. Thanks Again Bud...

WHY, WHY, WHY does this happen? The oil filter cover bolt. My 05 did it, my buddies 06 did it and now my 08 is doing it. Same bolt #3 on the bottom of the cover. It's the one with the larger head. On the 05 i removed the case cove and retaped the threads and hadn't had the problem come back since. The 06 and 08 and now my new problem. Should I just get a BOTTOMING TAP and leave the cover on? or should I remove the covers and do that way? Sitting at work on my dest and going off of memory, I'm not sure if the threads go all the way through to the tranny? This is what I get for helping a buddy out. I offered to service his bike for him. Hey great way to get me off the couch and in the garage. Nothing like working on the bikes and watching NITRO CIRCUS and FUEL TV while wrenching on the bikes. Travis Pestrana is so cool! What I would do to have his life right now:worthy:

See Permalink #9 for my fix.....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792598