HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaySlowWhitey

Bent Radiator

7 posts in this topic

So I bent my left side radiator this weekend. It bent back at the mounts and a little up and back at the lower corner. No leaks (tahnk god). I'm thinking I can just bend it back but wanted some ideas on straightening it (any tips / tools you guys have used) and thoughts on the need to replace it. Total bend from stock is about an inch (enough to deform the shroud and make for an uncomfortable ride back to the truck).

Most of the time, you can remove the shroud and muscle them back to shape by hand in a situation like that. Use your head, though, and watch for any one spot being excessively strained.

If you want it repaired by someone else: Myler's

Thanks Grayracer! In looking at it closer I think I can straighten the mounts and turn the bottom back into place and appreciate the forward on Myler's

A bit of heat might help to prevent anything snapping off when you bend it the opposite way and will make bending it easier. Heat only where you want the bend to occur.

A bit of heat might help to prevent anything snapping off when you bend it the opposite way and will make bending it easier. Heat only where you want the bend to occur.

Be extremely cautious in heating aluminum. It will not glow before it melts, and with no gas shield, as you would have when TIG welding, it forms a "skin" over the outside, and "melts from the inside." By the time you realize you're too hot, it's way too late. If heating, apply bending force, then heat only until the material responds by yielding.

It shouldn't be needed for a radiator, and I don't recommend it for those with limited skills. Very risky.

No heat was needed as I got it back to it's original position ...well close enough for the shourd bolts to easily line up and not warp the shoud itself. Thanks for the advice!

Why is always the left side? My right half is perfect my left not so much:smirk: