HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThumperWR450F

sputter !!

6 posts in this topic

i am having a 1/4-1/2 throttle sputter. after that it's fine. any suggestions? 160 main 48 pilot. snorkle removed baffle removed. sea level.

I get that after I wash it if the filter gets wet. May be water in the airbox? Otherwise drain your tank and put in fresh high test. Since it is between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle only I doubt it is a spark plug or ignition problem. I doubt your carburator is gummed up anywhere but if the above dont work take apart and clean your carb. :)

Yo Thumper. Had the same issue with my WR450. I first richened up the pilot by adjusting, of course, the pilot adjustment screw. But still I had too lean a condition with the 48 pilot, even at 5K ft. I had the dealer go to the next higher pilot jet, 50 I think, they adjusted the fuel screw, and bada bing - no sputter. At your altitude just richening up the 48 circuit should work.

I will keep that in mind Oasis_Flame. I have yet to get the carb dirty but I have heard that even the smallest insignificant particle can give you funky carburation.

Raise (richen) or lower (lean) the needle 1 clip position and see what happens. 1/4-1/2 throttle response is mainly controlled by the needle. If what you mean by sputter is what I think you mean, I'll bet you need to lean it a clip.