HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roylo

Ideal Rear Wheel Position

7 posts in this topic

What would be the best position, in terms of handling for the rear wheel in the back and forth adjustment? Bike is 08 YZ450.

Set the wheel as far to the rear as is practical with the right chain tension. This puts more weight on the front, and helps steering.

I thought about this for a minute. If you position the rear wheel more back it gives the swingarm greater leverage which makes the rear end easier to compress and therefor lower. Now if I think about extremes it seems to go the same way: if the swingarm was 5ft taller the bike would compress so easily and if it was even shorter then now it would be stiffer. BUt I might be thikning everything backwards :crazy:

I thought about this for a minute. If you position the rear wheel more back it gives the swingarm greater leverage which makes the rear end easier to compress and therefor lower. Now if I think about extremes it seems to go the same way: if the swingarm was 5ft taller the bike would compress so easily and if it was even shorter then now it would be stiffer. BUt I might be thikning everything backwards :crazy:

It WOULD make the rear end easier to compress because of the greater leverage and therefore lower. But Im guessing you would reset your ride height to the same.

Kasjok,

You have it right, but remember that even going from the far front to the far rear of the slot, you will be making a pretty small change in the leverage ratios. For fun, you could slide the axle from one end to the other and see what difference it makes in your free sag. I'll bet it's not very much.

Pro-circuits famous suspension tuner Bones Bacon recommends as far rearward as practically possible, just as Grayracer stated above.

Yes, I prefer it rearward and drop the forks 1/4 inch in the tripples...just before the taper.