XR650L jetting

Don't sweat it. The Dyno Jet spring is longer and "springier" than stock and the kit comes with 2 different mains. 160 and 165 I think. The needle has a completely different profile as well. The instructions say that if you are using the stock exhaust then use the 160 and if you're using aftermarket use the 165. Again "I think", it's been awhile.

If what I said is wrong someone will clear it up.

As for question #5, there is no way you can emulate the kit or "Dave's Mods" no matter how you configure the stock carb.:applause: Do one or the other and you will have a much better motorcycle. Like I said the Dyno Jet kit came with the bike when I bought it so installing it was a no brainer but remember it's expensive. "Dave's mods" is basically a "free mod" and it will produce the same general results.

What is "Daves mods"?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

heses step by step with pics for davs mods Very simple!! I would say theres prolly about half/half people on here that did daves mods/DJ kit Not really one or another way is that much better than the other just alot of personal preferance. Maybe get the 58/158 jets and the little washer ( if you need one i bought a 6 pack when i got mine ill send you one if needed) and just do the daves mods. Cheaper and will yield performance without having to buy a $60 DJ kit. Thats what i did and didnt notice alot but my bike was already un corked, de smog'd and all other normal stuff except shim'n of the needle and drill slide. If your bike is stock you will see a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

someone please help me I am so confused on which jets to use, i have a 2008 xr650l with smog block off kit, k&n filter,white bros xcr exhaust,and removed snorkel, I have know idea which jets to use, I tried a 165 main with a stock 50s and thats not right,so i put in a 160 main with a 50s still not right,do i need a 55s jet?? please help!!

someone please help me I am so confused on which jets to use, i have a 2008 xr650l with smog block off kit, k&n filter,white bros xcr exhaust,and removed snorkel, I have know idea which jets to use, I tried a 165 main with a stock 50s and thats not right,so i put in a 160 main with a 50s still not right,do i need a 55s jet?? please help!!
Well tell us what it's doing.? You should be pretty close to the money.? Have you done the carb mods? Changing the jets won't help unless you reconfigure the carb!:ride:

im kinda a newbe, so what other mods to the card should i be doing?

and as far as how the bike is running, when you snap the throttle it revs then misses then revs ,its got one spot where it cuts out!! Oh ya and where can i get the 55 pilot jet?

Where did you find a smog block off kit for your 2008? I have a 2007 and IMS says they do not make them for '07 and '08.

Where did you find a smog block off kit for your 2008? I have a 2007 and IMS says they do not make them for '07 and '08.

Seems kinda odd that IMS would tell anyone that the smog block kits wouldn't fit an '07 and '08. I went to the werehouse in person and pick up 2 of them, for my '05 and '07. All 650Ls are almost the exact same bike. Only difference, if anything, is the tank decals.?

Originally Posted by danimalp

Could you be more specific as to what is not right??? Still, using a 55 pilot @ 2 1/4 turns would do a great deal of good. I don't think the 160 main is doing you wrong either. If you have aftermarket headers, then the 165 would be appropriate. Did you shim the stock needle??? Are you useing a DynoJet Kit main and needle?? Did you drill out the Slide holes??? Did you make sure to keep things clean??? Did you spray all the carb parts with a good carb cleaner , then compressed air before re-assembly??

Can't really expect anyone to offer any real help with the vague information.

Hope the helps though. Good luck.

To all those having jetting problems: do you have any idea as to what your elevation is???

Knowing how far above sea level you are riding is a crucial element with jetting issues. The stock configuration itself (50 pilot @2 1/4 turns, 142 Main(or is is 152:thinking:) is for at least 2000 up to 3000 feet above sea level. That is the elevation of Tokyo I think where the bikes are manufactured. Way too lean if you at sea level or below2000 feet.

The 55 pilot/160-165 main is good at 0 to 2000 feet asl.

I totally forgot about the IMS Smog Block Kit: some of the instructions they give you are totally wrong!! I guarantee if you follow(or have already followed) their directions then the bike will run like crap regardless of how it's jetted!!!

First off, that thinga-majig that looks like a sprinkler head just below the fuel petcock is NOT, repeat NOT a charcoal canister!!! Don't even mess with it's set up unless you need to get it temporarily out of the way. It is in fact an Oil/Air Separator. It has really nothing to do with smog. Just helps to reduce the amount of oil getting sucked into the Airbox.

There is a big hose from the smog pump to the bottom nipple on the Airbox. Disconnect it from that nipple on the Airbox and put that big rubber plug that came in the kit on the bottom Airbox nipple.

There are 2 ports on the carb that need to be plugged with those little nipple plugs in the kit:

One is at the top Left. That nipple runs to the bigger bottom nipple of that flying saucer looking thingy(purge valve) right below the Oil/Air Separator(not a Charcoal Canister) hooked on the frame tube.

The second on is on the bottom right of the carb, maybe a centimeter in front of the pilot screw. That nipple is connected to a line going to the smog pump. Plug that nipple up.

There is a need for a 3rd plug, but it is not on the carb as the other 2. There is a line attached to the upper nipple of the purge valve that goes up near the top left of the carb where it is hooked up to a T fitting. Pull that hose off the T fitting and put a plug in it's place.

That's it other than taking off the air tubes from the smog pump and putting those little aluminum plates in and then taking all the smog junk off the bike.

I left mine on for posterity:bonk:

I made my own smog kit, very easy to do if you have a welder,or access to a welder.just cut the two metal tubes off and weld the holes on the plates,and tada!! smog block off plates!! I also seen them on ebay!!

IMO that is a rather tacky way of doing it. Be better off making your own plates out of aluminum. Even still, that is only a small portion of the smog blocking process. The 2 nipples on the carb as I described above and that 3rd on on the T fitting need to be plugged up. Then the bottom nipple on the Airbox for the smog pump/air hose needs a plug too.

I reckon I could have made my own smog blocking kit as well. Just didn't want to go through all the hassle and time of going to the autoparts store and trying to get all the right stuff especially when IMS was on my way home from work. Only paid $15 a piece for 2 kits. In my case, the little bit of extra money for the convenience paid off.