bike breaking up right past bottom..

I was riding my 99 wr400 yz timed, 178 main 45 pilot, dvp 3 clip..

every now and then when climbing hills the bike would break up right pass bottom then clear up and ripp like a bitch...

wazzupp..

need help

Fred, Fred, Fred,

When are going to give us all of the information. What is the elevation, is your air box lid removed, what pipe, etc, etc.....

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Fred:

Unless you are riding at altitude your jetting e.g. a 45 pj and #3 with the DVP needle will be a tad lean just off idle at throttle settings between 0-1/4. Suggest #4 on the DVP and a 48pj with the fuel screw between 1.0 and 1.5 turns out from bottoming.

What is your altitude and what are the temperatures now when you ride??

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 02-17-2001).]

1500 feet.

sorry is a 48 pilot..

if I run in 4 clip bike has bad dead spot, and fouls plug..

stock silencer, baffle removed, air lid removed..

also head pipe glows, about 5 inches out cherry red

Fred

Run a 48 Pilot jet with your set up and the fuel screw at 1.0 to 1.5.

Clark

Fred I ride 0-2000 ft in PA and my 00 Wr400 is running great with:

48PJ

DVP#5

172 MJ

fuel screw 1 1/2

airbox cover removed,Uni-airfilter,WR timing,baffle out.

[This message has been edited by Tree Crippler (edited 02-18-2001).]

Fred,

What is your pilot screw at? When you go to the richer clip position there may be enough overlap that it is running too rich down close to idle.

Suggest you go to clip #4 and turn in the pilot screw to 1 turn from bottomed. (Just as Treecrippler and Clark said.)

Maybe check the float level too.

James

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 02-18-2001).]

I agree with everyone above, it is probably a lean condition. I say this based upon my bike which carburates perfectly.

2000WR, YZ timed, no airbox lid, DSP header and pipe, 180 main DVP#4, 48 pilot, 100 pilot air.

That lean condition seams like it is the needles fault, (In the middle of the throttle position) No?

My guess is that the problem could be solved with the #4 position.

[This message has been edited by John in Long Beach (edited 02-18-2001).]

Hey Tree Crippler,

Did your number #5 position get you more Umph in the mid range. That is where my bike feels a little week. (Still waiting on a back ordered EKN).

Maybe you haven't run pos#4 so you won't have a comparison. But if you have let me know.

Thanks

you guys say lean but when I check my plug it is black..

also does the head pipe glow come from lean or rich, which makes more heat,,

Fred,

I live in PA and use the 175 main, DVP#4, De-octopussed, 45PJ. Your plug is probably black from throttle settings over idle and the glowing header is probably in you idle or just off idle circut. Does the header glow all the time or just when warming up the bike?

Jet settings vary from bike to bike, even with the same exact mods. I have been comaring notes with Tree Crippler (we are both in eastern Pa) and he said his bike would not even get the front wheel off the ground with the 45 PJ and clip on #4. My bike wheelies at will, with these setting/jets.

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

John

I tried DVP#4 first with the 45PJ and it ran terrible. I switched to DVP#5 and it ran great. I decided to try the 48PJ next and had a little better response. My 2 best setting so far are:

PJ45

DRS#3

PJ48

DVP#5

MJ172

I did not try anything higher on the MJ. Most of my riding is tight woods.

fred,

The plug may be black from a rich idle only, #48 and pilot screw out too far.

Higher up at 1/4 throttle is where it looks just the opposite (lean) on clip #3, causing weak response.

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 02-19-2001).]

fred try the Pilot Air Jet-Screw. adjust to the equivelant of No 125. put it with that 48 pilot Jet everyones on about & you'll be fine.

Taffy