HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diabs

'06 WR450...question, (update)

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm picking up a '06 with 4000km on it. I'm new to these 4 strokes...I test rode it and was very impressed. I would be the third owner. The guy I'm buying off said the orginal owner did the valve adjustment as he bought it brand new and broke it in. Picture024.jpg

mn.jpg

Overall, the bike looks like it hasn't seen even a mildly hard day of riding, either on the road or in the dirt.

I'm wanting to go straight to a shop when I get it and have the once over....anything I should be looking for?....should I anticipate a valve adjustment again? (aside from changing all fluids and the basic stuff..)

very clean, how much if I might ask? 2 sets of rims, there's a chunk of change?

I would try n learn to do the valves yourself $$$

check this thread out and past the links I put there alot of info???

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784693

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm handy and will be able to do the maitance for this bike. Seem's after reading all those posts and threads this engine is pretty bullet proof if you look after it.

Just wanted to double check if ther maybe some recall or that hidden gremlin I'd need to know about b4 I get to excited and go rip this thing around abit.

As for price...I've traded my '99 1500 Intruder for this bike plus a G note.

Don't have a extra set of rims.....if I can pick some up cheap or at least a rear one....have to wait and see how these Scorpion MX tires hold up on the dry dirt trails.

where in Ontario r u from, -- Chatham myself, but I grew up in the Barrie and Collingwood area's?

Check your pipe out and see if he gutted it, or is it a yz's, do you know what mod's have been done?

where in Ontario r u from, -- Chatham myself, but I grew up in the Barrie and Collingwood area's?

Check your pipe out and see if he gutted it, or is it a yz's, do you know what mod's have been done?

Pretty sure it's all stock. This owner has only owned the bike since Feb '08. He said hes done nothing to it other than the up-keep. It kind of feels stock as I test rode it....comparing to what people have said on here after they did the mods and opened it up abit.

I'm blown away with all the info on this bike(from this forum) and mods that can be done. As much as I used to put Suz first on my list....it just went to second! lol

I'm in Maple, beside Canada's Wonderland.

first off I would take the endcap off the muffler and see what's there, take the tank off and see if the grey wire on the right of the neck is disconnected? and turn the carb so you can take the top off on the left side of the bike and see if you have an adjustable needle? I beleave that a Canadain model already has a yz's throttle screw?

If you follow the valve breather hose, you will see that it connects to the bottom of the air breather, you should reroute this to the top of the breather where an ais(US) hose should have been and tye strap it there, tee off your 2 carb vent lines and route them to the top of the air cleaner or under your seat ---- this is and enginering goof-up, water gets in there the way it comes from the factory?

Awesome! Thanks for the quick tips, and the wrenching time for me to get close up with my new machine.

If the rain stops or slows down, I will be picking it up tonight.

Will report back with details....

thanks again

So I got my new to me WR home last night and really got to check it out alittle more.

This bike literally just came out of the crate and has not been tuned/set-up for any of the last two owners. The suspension has not been touched, the silencer has been removed.....but now I'm wondering what else hasn't been done...like valve maintenance.

Guess I should be happy with such a new bike, but the last owner was about the same size and weight of me (5'7" 180lbs), and I couldn't figure why the bike was like a rock and sitting like a 6'10" 280lb guy should be owning this bike. Guess he thought the bike was to much for him, either to wrench it or ride it!

Gonna have to set this baby up right!...can't wait!:crazy:

Love my 06, take some time and go over the bike, yami's are very light at the factory on grease? grease up the stirring head, and the rear links and wheel bearings, see how that stuff is, you'll probably find that it needs done? Probably time to change the oil's in your shocks too. The vavle's r a must to give yourself some peace of mind!!

Ya, there a tall bike!!

go over the link's I put in this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784693

So last night me and my buddy started to tune the suspension for my weight and taste. I'm amazed what alittle tweaking can do.

Changed oil, adjusted proper chain slack, checked most nuts and bolts...

I must say, this bike is a real piece of work! The whole oil in the frame for cooling and the little things Yamaha does...very impressed!

Took her out for a spin tonight with the road tires and it handles better than I thought! But now I'm dying to get this baby in the dirt!

My sprockets are 13/50...for the most part, I'm not doing any hwy riding, but will I be happy with this in the dirt? Not to mention, the chain axle adjuster is dead center. Any recommendations?

You will love your WR

You could look at bigger counter sprockets for more top end.

Im running a 14 infront and there is plenty of power there... even with the 15front she hauls ass.

@ 280lbs you should look at a spring more suited to your weight. But it should be fine for recreational riding.. just dial in the compression.

You will love your WR

You could look at bigger counter sprockets for more top end.

Im running a 14 infront and there is plenty of power there... even with the 15front she hauls ass.

@ 280lbs you should look at a spring more suited to your weight. But it should be fine for recreational riding.. just dial in the compression.

Thanks!...:crazy: 280lbs I'm not....I'm 180lbs....the bike was setup for someone 280lbs, It was rock hard, and just like riding one too.

I've tuned it to my weight and liking, now I'm going to change out the tires to the nobbies and enjoy the dirt more than the road.

enjoy it .. i love my bike to bits... I prefer it over the KTM Super Enduro R ...