2003 YZ Cam "Insurance"

Just thinking out loud here...

ThumperTalk is a community, I have seen that proved time and time again. I have seen people in need voice it, and without fail, somebody steps forward and fills the need. It is impressive.

Well, along the lines of the cam switch, those of us that have done it, have done it with certian degree of betting that the slight differences between the cam gear teeth and chain will not grenade the engine. Will it? We don't know.

I am thinking that the high-mile dude, who really pushes his bike, will be the one who grenades his engine, IF the cam switch, in fact, is not 100% compatable. So, the dude who went farthest and pushed his bike the hardest now gets a big fix-it bill, and the rest of us learn from his mistake.

What about this? What if those of us who have done the switch were to throw 10 or 15 bucks into a kitty. IF our engines start to grenade, that "kitty" can be used to replace bent valves, new piston, head (those will kill the kitty~!) or whatever. Once 2 or 3 or 4 engines grenade, that kitty will be depleated, and at that time, if you are still running the cam, then you are on your own. But, if your engine has not grenaded, then you can switch back before catastrophic finacial damage occurs.

Is this worthwhile? Would there be TT fraud? To hard to administer? I just thought that we could collectively make a "fix-it fund" available, just to cover our butts in the event that this modification is not as durable as our machines have proven to be.

Waste or worthy?

Send your money to Beezer - as a Yamaha WR owner you know he can be trusted.